Polygon to Raster Error

Jump to solution
08-09-2021 12:36 PM
Labels (1)
kimokeefe
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm new to GIS and am just learning how to use ArcGIS Pro. I'm trying to convert a polygon to a raster form using the Polygon to Raster tool, and I keep getting this error: 

ERROR 000198: Error in accessing the workspace.

I've looked around online and can't see to figure out what the issue is. I have the output saved to the home geodatabase, and all of my pathnames seem appropriate (they are fairly short and do not contain spaces). Any idea of what might be wrong or what I should check?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Kim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Can you share the exact pathname?

You may try saving to the folder above the .gdb and provide a .tif extension, this usually provides better read and write performance using the TIFF format.

Any system issues (full disk, full temp area etc) can generate this error too.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Can you share the exact pathname?

You may try saving to the folder above the .gdb and provide a .tif extension, this usually provides better read and write performance using the TIFF format.

Any system issues (full disk, full temp area etc) can generate this error too.

kimokeefe
New Contributor

Saving in the folder above with a .tif extension worked! Thank you so much!! Is there a particular reason why tiffs provide better performance?

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Geodatabases can be supported across many different RDBMS formats and converting rasters in and out of RDBMS tables, tiling, and indexing can incur some performance cost. The geodatabase format supports versioning in some formats (ie when the gdb is stored in SQL Server) and must support functionality "file-based rasters" like .tif don't need to support. Esri has done a lot to speed up file .gdb rasters in recent years but .tif is still a more efficient format for data processing. 

TIFF files are much simpler, it's just a random access binary file with a few ancillary files in a system file folder -- less overhead!

0 Kudos
kimokeefe
New Contributor

Ah okay, I see. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions! (I have no one to help as I'm teaching myself, so I appreciate it!)

0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

That error suggests "The workspace likely does not exist. Confirm that the workspace exists and has been specified correctly. Also confirm that the workspace can be accessed through other means"

Create a folder using Windows Explorer, say c:\temp and then specify your output raster to be file based, say c:\temp\mytif.tif

This'll test that the tool is working as designed.

kimokeefe
New Contributor

Thanks! I'll try that too.

0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

Please paste the name you were using for the Output Raster Dataset that produced the initial error. Remember to click inside the control to get the full path and name and replace personal info with x's.

This'll help us build better error messages.

0 Kudos