polygon one inside the other and solid hatch between them

01-29-2021 08:34 AM
Labels (1)
AvivitLevy
New Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro,

I need to create in the ArcgGis a horizontal plan, like 2 polygons one inside the other and between them solid hatch, and inside the internal polygon it's a 'hole', in the total it looks like a 'donut'  - I attached a picture,

Which is the best way to do it without using geoprocessing tools?  because I need to draw different shapes- I would like to use the tools from the Edit tab.

I can create one polygon with a solid hatch with 'Donut' effect in the Symbology but it applies to all of the layer, and each polygon not exactly with the same width.

Thanks in advance,

Avivit 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
CarlMorrison
Occasional Contributor

Check out Clip in the Divide Tools on the Edit tab, it's different from how you make a donut in AutoCAD.    

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

if it is exploratory have you ruled out

Interactive cut and fill creation methods—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
IanPryor1
New Contributor III

If your polygons are part of the same feature dataset you can use the Edit - Clip tool and choose the option to discard the area that intersects. You will need to delete the overlapping polygon after the clip operation to create the "donut" hole effect.

0 Kudos
AvivitLevy
New Contributor III

Thank you, I decided to use 'Continue Feature' tool in the Create tab. By drawing the internal polygon it's automatically clips the 'hole' and I keep the same feature with 2 different polygons.

Thank you all!

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Here are a couple of other options that won't necessarily require you to add temporary shapes for your "donut hole" features:

Creating the Shapes "From Scratch"

While you're digitizing the shape, draw your outer ring, right-click and select Finish Part.

jCarlson_0-1611942617137.png

When you draw the next part, the inner ring will create the donut "hole".

jCarlson_1-1611942665929.png

From Existing Polygons

Try using the Continue Feature tool. This will "open" the geometry and any shapes you begin to draw will be a new part.

Set the Trace tool active, then hit the O key to open the Trace Options dialog. Set the offset however you need to. Then click to start tracing at one of the feature vertices and go all the way around.

jCarlson_2-1611943174941.pngjCarlson_3-1611943287386.png

Edit: Another Thought

If you really need to keep the "inner" polygon as its own feature, the Buffer tool accepts negative distances, too. Just watch out for those rounded inner corners. The tool doesn't let you specify a mitered buffer, at least not yet.

jCarlson_4-1611943574024.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
AvivitLevy
New Contributor III

Thank you Josh,

I tried the first option of 'finish part' but it doesn't work with drawing rectangle, only with polyline..so yes I decided to use Continue Feature tool

Thank you!

Avivit 

jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Oh, you're right! The nice "regular polygon" editing tools don't play well with multiple parts.

Might I also suggest a Group Template? Go to Manage Templates, select your standard template, then New → Group Template

jCarlson_1-1611944379783.png

Under Builders, click Add and specify that it's a buffer, then specify your distance.

jCarlson_2-1611944468204.png

Now select your new group template. You should have the option of using the rectangle tool, and upon finishing your rectangle, you'll instantly have the negative-buffered shape as well.

2R2Q99d40j.gif

My scratch layer doesn't have any attributes in it, but you could easily configure the group template to create the two polygons as having different attributes (inner vs outer), or even belonging to entirely different layers.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS