Select to view content in your preferred language

Polygon border symbology

Jump to solution
06-06-2024 04:24 PM
AvaFarouche
Frequent Contributor

Hello!

I cannot figure out polygon border symbology in Pro. Specifically, I can't figure out how to access all of the line and border styles that were available in Map, such as a standard State or County border, or the various predefined highway, other roadway or river symbols, etc. 

I imported Esri styles from my ArcMap styles into my project but it still won't find them. I know how to modify the outline of a polygon to make it a dashed line or change color, or add a layer, but I really want to be able to just access the old styles without having to create something new every time, or create a new style, save it somewhere and then import it every time I want to use it.

There have been times that I was using Pro that I have been able to find and use the old Map border/ line styles, they just showed up when I went into symbology. But other times, like now, I cannot find them anywhere, no matter what I do.

Thank you for any help you can provide!!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
LindaWilliams1
Frequent Contributor

There is also a style library at https://esri-styles.maps.arcgis.com/home/index.html, and additional styles (especially fantastic ones created by John Nelson) are available in the Living Atlas that can be accessed within Pro.

0 Kudos
AvaFarouche
Frequent Contributor

Thanks! I added the styles to my project before posting my question, but I still can't get Pro to navigate to it in the symbology properties. I'm starting to think something is buggy.

0 Kudos
LindaWilliams1
Frequent Contributor

The link at the bottom of this post might be helpful. You can import line symbology to create your polygon boundary using "Import layers from a symbol": https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/having-built-in-polygon-outline-styles-in-arcgis/idi-...

AvaFarouche
Frequent Contributor

Aaaah, thank you! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has had this problem, I didn't find that thread when I searched. I will try the final solution listed there. I would still love to just be able to change the border symbology the way I did in Map but at least there seems to be an option.

0 Kudos
LindaWilliams1
Frequent Contributor

I agree with you on that; it really did seem easier to do in Map, and I miss some of those boundary styles. Like you I've had to rebuild some of them myself in Pro.

0 Kudos