Select to view content in your preferred language

Point to Raster - how it works

04-04-2022 06:16 AM
Labels (1)
AmyOKeefe
New Contributor II

I've been using the Point to Raster tool to convert XYZ bathymetry data.

I have selected the Cell Assignment Type as Minimum, but have just noticed in the Environments section that the raster storage resampling technique is Nearest Neighbour.

I'm just wondering are 2 interpolation methods going on in the background then? I'm trying to determine how accurate the raster is.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

Nearest Neighbour resampling doesn't come into it at all. There's no proximity search, interpolation or resampling going on.

The only applicable environments are:

Auto CommitCell SizeCell Size Projection MethodCompressionCurrent WorkspaceExtentGeographic TransformationsOutput CONFIG KeywordOutput Coordinate SystemPyramidScratch WorkspaceSnap RasterTile Size

As to how it works, that's explained in detail in the link @SteveLynch  provided.  You specify a cell size and extent and values are assigned to each cell according cell assignment type and the points that fall inside that cell. (with some rules to handle points right on cell boundaries)

Are you using ArcMap? I think, ArcMap shows you all environment settings, even those that don't apply. Pro only shows applicable environments. But the ArcMap help also states that only the above environments apply.

0 Kudos