POINT ELEVATIONS TO LINES

Jump to solution
04-07-2021 10:33 AM
JamesWhite5
New Contributor III

Good afternoon.  I am using PRO 2.6.  I have been trying to find a way to add point data to a line with z values to then include as a break line in a TIN that is being created from a LiDAR raster.

The points that I have were taken using an RTK source along a levee.  The heights are between 45 and 53 feet.

The line is the center of the levee and/or floodwall. The line has it's own z value of between ~20 feet to ~47 feet, which coincides with the height of the raster.

I am not having luck with taking the heights from the point data and adding it to the line and then also being able to interpolate the height between the points along the line.  So if one point is 50' and the next point is 48', being able to show the height gradually lowering to 48' rather than just dropping off at that point.

I then need to create that line as a break line in the TIN in order to determine if the height of the floodwall is sufficient to not allow a flood to come over the top.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesWhite5
New Contributor III

MicZatorsky_AEC,

Good morning.  Thank you for the reply.  I will be using that link in the next step.  

What I had was a line that had the base of a wall as its Z value.  I needed the top of the wall along that line.  If I just created a lone from the points, they would not follow the wall.  

What I ended up doing was digitizing a line along the wall, using the measured points along the wall that had their Z values as the top of the wall. Each point represented a certain distance, roughly 100 feet. Once I digitized the line, basically making line segments for each 100 feet at the measured top of wall points, I created a new field and used the Calculate Field to label each point line segment. These married up with the known points so then I used a join to marry up the line with the known heights.  

But yes, the next step will be created the 3D line from this line.

Thank you,

Kevin White

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MicZatorsky_AEC
Occasional Contributor III

What do you mean by 'add points to a line'?   Do you already have a line that you want to create additional vertices for using your points?

Or, do you want to create a new 3D line from your points?  In which case this may help
https://community.esri.com/t5/3d-blog/how-to-create-3d-lines-from-2d-points-with-an-elevation/ba-p/9...

0 Kudos
JamesWhite5
New Contributor III

MicZatorsky_AEC,

Good morning.  Thank you for the reply.  I will be using that link in the next step.  

What I had was a line that had the base of a wall as its Z value.  I needed the top of the wall along that line.  If I just created a lone from the points, they would not follow the wall.  

What I ended up doing was digitizing a line along the wall, using the measured points along the wall that had their Z values as the top of the wall. Each point represented a certain distance, roughly 100 feet. Once I digitized the line, basically making line segments for each 100 feet at the measured top of wall points, I created a new field and used the Calculate Field to label each point line segment. These married up with the known points so then I used a join to marry up the line with the known heights.  

But yes, the next step will be created the 3D line from this line.

Thank you,

Kevin White