Select to view content in your preferred language

Plotting from Pro for Large Multi Page Wall Maps

09-21-2022 06:44 AM
hherrmann_coj
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to recreate an old wall map that our Fire Department uses for their hydrant data.  In the past, the map was made in ArcMap and ended up being three 94"x36" maps that overlapped a couple of inches and they had laminated and taped together.  

I am curious to know how you all have handled making maps like this that can be printed with overlap without having to make three individual layouts for each one?  I'm wondering if there is an easier way to accomplish the same thing?

So far, I have a layout of 108.5"x94.5" with three guides evenly dividing the overall map.  I was thinking I'll just print tile oversized but I don't believe there is a way to include an overlap so that when they stick them together, they line up nicely.  I've included a screenshot of my current layout but there won't be overlaps in this format.

hherrmann_coj_0-1663767834844.png

(For the record, we HATE printing and using paper when there are soooo many other options through the ESRI apps/solutions but when we're working with a bunch of old fashioned people, we don't really have a choice in some special cases like this.  Most of the time, people end up loving the apps we build for them but our awesome fire folks are a bit hard headed.  😂)

4 Replies
ThomasHoman
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

Welcome to the digital age - can we have that printed. Yup, lol😁

Have you looked at Pro's Layouts? https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/layouts/layouts-in-arcgis-pro.htm or if you had something larger that 3 tiles the Map Series (that replace ArcMap Data Driven Pages) https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/layouts/map-series.htm 

I had to do the exact same thing with one of our FD's not too long ago with 3 plots to cover the area. I created a feature class with the 3 areas and created 1 layout of the appropriate paper dimensions. In the layout you can have your tile FC attribute table open and select a feature to zoom to. Make sure your scale doesn't change between tiles and you should be good to go.

Does that make sense?

Tom

LindaWilliams1
Occasional Contributor

I agree with using the map series option so that you only have to create one layout for the three sections. I'd suggest creating bookmarks for each section and creating a bookmark map series. You could also create a light line that will print out and can be used to align the overlap.

hherrmann_coj
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much!  I'm still fumbling my way through Pro and finding things, especially if they're essentially the same thing as they were in ArcMap but have been renamed, so I really appreciate the feedback!

I'm going to try the map series and see how that works out. 

I did find one help post that someone showed this screenshot and I saw that you can add overlaps so I think I'll try both and see which one works better.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
MeganHaleGIS
New Contributor II

I'm working on a large wall map for parks and rec districts to use in their shops and display in the parks admin building. How did your map turn out?

0 Kudos