Trouble with creating points along line

Jump to solution
12-29-2022 09:09 PM
KeithAdams1
New Contributor II

I am trying to get some experience with using the Create Points Along Line tool but I am getting an error that I can't get passed. My workflow is:

1. create file geodatabase; 2. create feature class in geodatabase (line with a PCS of NAD 1983 HARN StatePlane Hawaii 3 FIPS 5103 (US Feet); 3. draw line and save feature; 4. search Create Points Along Line tool, in the modify feature pane try to mess around with how many points are made along the selected line.

This is where I get messed up. I try to generate the points along the line I created but I get the error message "Create points failed No support for this geometry type.". 

Anyone know what I may be doing wrong and how I can fix my workflow? 

Thanks everyone! 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GoWest
by
New Contributor III

You performed an operation with a tool which is outside of the normal editing workflow.  The search you performed in step #4 incorrectly gave you access to a tool which is only supported on Point features.  You tried to use a Point feature tool on a Line feature and got a "Not supported for this geometry type", which is actually a good error.  You could log an ArcGIS Idea request to say that the Command Search should not give you access to a tool which is incompatible with the selected layer, but if you stay within the "typical editing workflows" this shouldn't be a problem.

1. create file geodatabase
2. create Line feature class in geodatabase (line with a PCS of NAD 1983 HARN StatePlane Hawaii 3 FIPS 5103 (US Feet);
3. draw line and save feature;

4. create Point feature class in geodatabase (line with a PCS of NAD 1983 HARN StatePlane Hawaii 3 FIPS 5103 (US Feet);

5. click Create button
6. In the Create Features pane, select your Point Feature Layer from the available templates.  The Template should have the Create Points Along Line toolThis tool will create new Point features. (Note: you could perform a command search for the tool, but I do not recommend that workflow for editing).

7. Per the Point tool instructions:  select a Line  (from another layer)
8. mess around with how many points are made along the selected line.

9. Click the Create button
10.  Your Point Feature Class should now have new Point features added.

I agree this is confusing and the tool instructions should be more concise.

GoWest_0-1672422479358.png

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AntoinevanEsch
Esri Contributor

Hi @KeithAdams1 

Have you tried the 'Generate points along line' geoprocessing tool? I think this is what you are looking for. This tool will create a new points feature class.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/generate-points-along-lines.... 

Hope this will help you out. 

0 Kudos
KeithAdams1
New Contributor II

Thank you very much for your help! 

0 Kudos
GoWest
by
New Contributor III

You performed an operation with a tool which is outside of the normal editing workflow.  The search you performed in step #4 incorrectly gave you access to a tool which is only supported on Point features.  You tried to use a Point feature tool on a Line feature and got a "Not supported for this geometry type", which is actually a good error.  You could log an ArcGIS Idea request to say that the Command Search should not give you access to a tool which is incompatible with the selected layer, but if you stay within the "typical editing workflows" this shouldn't be a problem.

1. create file geodatabase
2. create Line feature class in geodatabase (line with a PCS of NAD 1983 HARN StatePlane Hawaii 3 FIPS 5103 (US Feet);
3. draw line and save feature;

4. create Point feature class in geodatabase (line with a PCS of NAD 1983 HARN StatePlane Hawaii 3 FIPS 5103 (US Feet);

5. click Create button
6. In the Create Features pane, select your Point Feature Layer from the available templates.  The Template should have the Create Points Along Line toolThis tool will create new Point features. (Note: you could perform a command search for the tool, but I do not recommend that workflow for editing).

7. Per the Point tool instructions:  select a Line  (from another layer)
8. mess around with how many points are made along the selected line.

9. Click the Create button
10.  Your Point Feature Class should now have new Point features added.

I agree this is confusing and the tool instructions should be more concise.

GoWest_0-1672422479358.png

KeithAdams1
New Contributor II

You're exactly right! It didn't have a point layer to use. It worked perfectly, thank you very much! 

0 Kudos