Select to view content in your preferred language

Please help with ArcGIS Pro crashing

08-30-2018 05:40 PM
RolandPomana1
New Contributor II

Every time I try to export an animation ArcGISPro crashes.

Version of Pro

I have seen others ask this question and be directed to run Can You Run It?
I have done this and my pc seems to be more than capable of running ArcGIS Pro.

CanYouRunItCapture

I have no idea why I can't export an animation - I have tried both mp4 and avi formats and all available settings e.g. Draft, HD720, YouTube and HD1080.
No matter what setting or format I choose it crashes every-time.

Even when I try to post an error report, that crashes - I have attached the error report from the last crash.

Anybody know why this is happening.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

well documented, I will flag

Kory Kramer

t‌he normal way of reporting errors is through the Support link if you have permissions to do so.

In the interim...

Does this happen with all animations?

Is it particularly large?

What is the data source?

You followed the procedures here? Export an animation—Animation | ArcGIS Desktop 

Have you tried a really short one following … Animation how-to videos—Animation | ArcGIS Desktop 

Can the frames be previewed?

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Roland, I apologize that you're experiencing a crash in ArcGIS Pro.

Dan is correct that normally if a crash is consistently reproducible, the best action is to report it to technical support so that they can gather the required details and report it as a bug.  Report software errors—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

"If you can reproduce the serious application error by a definite series of steps, you should also contact Esri Support or your international distributor to report a bug."

I'm not an expert in analyzing the dump files, but I ran this one and it doesn't have much content in it.  Getting answers to Dan's questions above would be great, and again, if this is consistent, you could send us a project package that reproduces the crash when exporting the animation.

Do you have XToolsPro installed on the machine that crashes?  The reason I ask is that the error report points to a similar issue (but not in ArcGIS Pro) where XTools may have been in the mix.  But this could be a red herring - we would still need the answers above, possibly a project package, and there are other things we can try to get a better crash dump.

Will look for a response and we'll go from there.

Thanks

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

In addition to Kory's response, one thing I've seen that remedy's many AGP crashes (particularly 3D) is to update the video card driver directly from the cards manufacturer.  From your "Can you run it" report, I'd recommend you go to AMD's website, search for and install the latest driver onto your PC.  Once completed, try to rerun the animation workflow.  Does AGP still crash?

RolandPomana1
New Contributor II

Hi All

In an effort to answer all of the mentioned queries so far.
Yes - the project was large
The data sources were:
   Reference/World_Boundaries_and_Places (MapServer) 
   World_Imagery (MapServer) 
   WorldElevation3D/Terrain3D (ImageServer) 

Yes - I did follow the procedures  Export an animation—Animation | ArcGIS Desktop /external-link.jspa?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpro.arcgis.com%2Fen%2Fpro-app%2Fhelp%2Fmapping%2Fanimation%2Fex...

Yes - I did try a very short one.

Yes - all of the frames can be previewed.

No - XTools is not installed.

After checking all of these AGP was still crashing at the Export stage. Even on the very short one.

Following the advice from rleclair-esristaff I updated the driver for my video card directly from AMD.

This seems to have solved the problem, although I can still only export very small projects - it seems that as soon as there is more than 500 frames in the output AGP will crash. This is regardless of the output quality.

Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Roland - glad the driver update helped a little bit.  Follow-up question - are you using a TIN for your elevation surface?  I've seen in some reports that this causes AGP to crash.

0 Kudos
RolandPomana1
New Contributor II

Hi Robert

No, wasn't using a TIN.
I was just using base ESRI data in a Global Scene  WorldElevation3D/Terrain3D (ImageServer)

Still having issues with anything over 500 frames.

Pretty sure it's a pc problem and not a software issue.
I have tried numerous driver updates and fine tuning but still getting crashes.

Will test on another pc sometime soon to double check.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Which also begs the questions...

• what base data within that link were you using?
  • have you tried making an animation of any size using some other data source?

Still haven't ruled out the data source yet

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Roland - thx for the feedback.  Let me kwow if there's anything else I can assist with.  Cheers!

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Roland,

I can confirm that I was able to export a .gif using the following settings.  Total of nearly 36,000 frames.

I really wanted to post the .gif here but it is a smidge over 1GB.  

Here is a clip of the clip:

0 Kudos