Select to view content in your preferred language

Placing symbol with label at boundary of polygon

2 weeks ago
Labels (2)
TheRealSamHeavenrich
New Contributor

I'm trying to place a symbol rotated so it abuts and aligns with the border of a polygon, with a label within it that is centered in one part of the symbol. I need it to look like this.

TheRealSamHeavenrich_0-1718976488029.png

My current solution is to create points symbols approximately where I need them and symbolize them to look like the triangle + circle. then I can calculate the rotation to the nearest polygon boundary and use that angle to rotate the symbol. I can place the text at the center of the circle using the labelling system (since that is the origin of the symbol). This works to a certain extent, but as soon as I change scale, the symbols are no longer abutting the polygon boundaries and I need to go in and manually change their position like below.

TheRealSamHeavenrich_2-1718976813046.png

I'd like to remove this manual process since there can sometimes be many of these symbols in a map.

I've tried using the labelling system to label the polygon boundaries, and build a composite symbol using the label callout. This also worked to a certain extent, but only for some of the sides of a polygon. It also results in text that is no longer horizontal which is also undesirable. This is the result of my best attempt with this method.

TheRealSamHeavenrich_3-1718979643266.png

Does anyone have any ideas for how to achieve the labelling I'm looking for?

0 Kudos
0 Replies