Pivot table limitations

01-14-2022 05:25 AM
Labels (1)
ErikKjellman
New Contributor III
I have started looking into the Pivot Table gp tool in Arcgis Pro and I am not satisfied with its performance... but it also might be that I am missing some essential clue on best practice. The following is an example of input:

artefact
amount
material
coordinate
axe
quartz
100x100y
axe
silcrete
100x100y
axe
quartz
110x110y
arrow
quartz
100x100y
arrow
silcrete
100x100y
arrow
quartz
110x110y
flake
quartz
100x100y
flake
silcrete
100x100y
flake
quartz
110x110y

When doing pivot in excel I end up with something like this (ignoring material):

coordinateaxearrowflake
100x100y
110x110y

But doing the same in Arcgis i get something like this:

coordinateaxearrowflake
100x100y
100x100y
110x110y

I understand the reason (I think); it summarizes per material per coordinate, even though I only put coordinate as an input field. I have tested this with adding material and get the same output. Only difference is that it adds a column for material.

Is this how it is supposed to work or is it bugged? If it is how it should work then I must say it does not do a good job...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is your example a complete table or a sample?

What do you get with pivot field as artefact and value field as amount?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
ErikKjellman
New Contributor III

It's an simplified example of my data (much lareger and in norwegian).

AppoIogies that I wasn't clear enough in my example; the result is with artefact as pivot and amount as value.

I made a version with english headings if you care to have a look.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Sorry for the delay, but every time I tried pivot table in Pro 2.9, it silently went away.

I decided to just do a summary using artefact and material, summing on amount as shown in the image

z1.png

I am not sure what the issue is with the pivot table, but given my experience, you might want to Tech Support it.

I also noticed that you had a few blank cells in your excel

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
ErikKjellman
New Contributor III

Thank you for looking into it. I suppose the easiest solution is to use excel pivot first, because it looks to me that the pivot  in ArcGIS Pro is not up to the task. I tried the summarize statistics tool, but it would not do complex summations across my table.

The example you did is not what I am after; I wanted the table to summarize amounts for a each artefact in each coordinate so that it would look like this: 

coordinateartefactamount
123x3210yNVAvslag10

I'll check with tech support if there could be an issue with Pivot.

Thanks for the assist!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could also check out Panda pivot table to see if it works since you can use TableToNumPyArray to get a structured dataset which can be read by Pandas

pandas.pivot_table — pandas 1.3.5 documentation (pydata.org)

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos