PDF export settings ArcGIS Pro versus ArcMap

07-16-2021 09:12 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have setup our annual map production in ArcGIS Pro Map Series from ArcMap Data Driven Pages. It was a painless process. The only issue I noticed is the map PDF exports from ArcGIS Pro are 3 times the size of the PDF exports out of ArcMap. I have attached the settings from both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro. They look similar, but I am probably overlooking a setting that would shrink the file size. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What version of Pro are you on? I recall reading in the past that Pro was including too much basemap data in its exports or something, and that there was a fix for it in a later version.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am running 2.8.1. I also do not have the basemap turned on.

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello!

Exports in Pro are handled differently than exports in ArcMap. Pro preserves more of the vector data, which can create larger file sizes. If you don't need any of the vector or layer properties in your output, you can use the Output as Image setting to get a smaller file size.

Cheers,

Aubri

Cheers,
Aubri
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

You are exporting georefrence information for both.  If you don't need them georefrenced turn that off to save some space. 

For layers and attributes turn that off as well Unless it is something you use.

ArcGIS Pro is a different tool. Not a better tool. 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was able to reduce the file size in half just by changing the font I was using. That will work for now.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

That was something else I was thinking after I sent that.  You should stick to True Type Fonts. We normally just go with Ariel or Cambria. Adobe works best with True Type fonts. 

MicZatorsky_AEC
Occasional Contributor III

@Anonymous User what font did you change from, and what font did you change to?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry, I was completing a couple other tasks and some vacation time over the past month. I changed from the Calibri to the Arial font to reduce file size.

0 Kudos