Pause in pro.

05-28-2020 09:04 AM
MarcelSt-Germain
Occasional Contributor III

Why, in Pro, Pause do not stop everything.  The map is in pause, but the turning wheel turn for ever?  We have no control until.... minutes, hours or have to kill the project to be able to do someting.

6 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Marcel, 

Pause is meant to only pause the drawing of maps and scenes.  If a Layout View is active, non-map elements will continue to draw.  Please see the "Pause drawing" section in Maps—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation for more information.  Were you working with the Layout View?

When the "wheel" is spinning is the application frozen, or can you still interact with Pro and do things?

Thanks, 

Tom

MarcelSt-Germain

First, I'm working in layout and I use pause to work in TOC or others things.  But, it's like everithing is freeze. I have to wait the "wheel spinning" to stop to gain control. 

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Marcel, 

Pause drawing should not freeze the UI. This sounds like a bug.  I'm unaware of any known issue in regards to this and have not seen any problems with my testing. The UI is responsive when I pause drawing for both 2D and 3D map frame.  The issue you are seeing may be particular to your workflow/data.

Can you contact Esri Support? They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Thanks, 

Tom

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain

I live with it.  Kill the program if too long.  Use to these unlimited time spinning in arcmap.  Change in time with more powerful computer doesn't change this

behaviour in arcmap, arcview products even is only a small part of the processing or memories is use.

0 Kudos
SDouglas_Versar
New Contributor

I am having the same issue. Often I want to add a 2d polygon layer to a 3d scene, but when you do that for some reason the program defaults to placing the shapefile or feature class under the 3d layers in the table of contents. The data is rather large and thus ties up the program for a long time trying to render. Even if I press pause it can take up to half an hour to actually pause while the render wheel keeps spinning. While its "pausing" I can't do anything. I can't even force the program to close through the task manager until it stops rendering.

It would be nice if 1) I had an option to add the polygon layer to 2d layers instead of 3d when I select "add to current map" from the catalog pane and/or 2) the pause button actually paused... 

0 Kudos
JackFanZhang
Occasional Contributor

having the same issue here. My project has Layout, but when I'm facing the issue, the layout view was not opened at all, just the map was opened. So many bugs in this product killing me life.