Patching / Updating ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
04-05-2021 01:39 PM
GregV
by
New Contributor

We have 120+ ArcGIS installations that are managed by our IT department.  It is my understanding that ArcGIS Pro updates are enabled by default for the end user to install per this article.  In that article, it also describes how users can "Turn-off" update notifications in the application or via registry modification, the Update notifications can be "blocked".

My question is how can we ensure all workstations are running the SAME level of software?  Is there a managed method for updating?  Our concern is that while we are supporting so many computers/users it is best practice to ensure all systems run the same version/level of software to reduce complexities when troubleshooting issues. 

Additional concerns are having 120+ computers attempting to install an update over the internet, potentially negatively impacting our internet service.  Can the ArcGIS desktop software be configured to obtain the updates from a local resource (on premise)?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

At my university environment I have concerns about this so we install using a batch script (shared by OneDrive for students and on a network drive locally for lab machines) that installs a version and disables updates. On our lab computers we do a new install for every academic year, and encourage students to rerun our install script to update to that year's version.  In the rare situation (once when AGOL went to HTTPS) where we need to update everyone mid-year, we update our script over winter break and get the word out.

Here is a version of our batch script

ArcGIS Pro silent install script 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

At my university environment I have concerns about this so we install using a batch script (shared by OneDrive for students and on a network drive locally for lab machines) that installs a version and disables updates. On our lab computers we do a new install for every academic year, and encourage students to rerun our install script to update to that year's version.  In the rare situation (once when AGOL went to HTTPS) where we need to update everyone mid-year, we update our script over winter break and get the word out.

Here is a version of our batch script

ArcGIS Pro silent install script