Parcel Fabric "Layer Not Editable" when moving points but all fabric layers are editable?

Jump to solution
01-20-2021 03:31 PM
Labels (2)
CoreyMetz
New Contributor II

Hey All - I've been editing our tax parcels in Pro (version 2.7 now) with parcel fabric for about 3 months now and one of my favorite workflow improvements has been the ability to just click and move points to make small adjustments to my parcels. It worked great in the beginning, then it started showing this error every now and again when I tried to move a point:

CoreyMetz_0-1611185126850.png

No worries, because I would just close out of Pro, reopen my project, and it would work again. I figured it was a problem with a lock file on one of the fabric layers or something. A few days ago though it started popping up with that message every time I tried moving a point and my old trick or restarting Pro doesn't work anymore. 

Everything is checked for editing and the Status dialog doesn't point out anything obvious to me either:

CoreyMetz_1-1611185282227.png

I'm also working in just a file geodatabase so I can't imagine there's any other permission issues occurring. Has anyone else encountered something like this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CoreyMetz
New Contributor II

Solved.

My project (.aprx) file ended up being the problem. I tend to keep my project open with multiple tabs since I have 2 different layout and 2 editing maps (one with the topology and one with non-topology layers and my annotations). However, opening the fabric in a brand new project allowed the points to be moved and the topology to update as intended with the fabric.

So in my original project I was able to "reset" it by:

1. Closing ALL tabs/views except Catalog
  2. Saving the project and closing Arcgis Pro
  3. Re-opening Pro
  4. Opening only the map that contains the fabric

I'm now able to edit points again. My working theory is that one of my layouts contains the map that has my fabric topology in it and "activating" the map in that layout may be conflicting with editing the map itself elsewhere in my project.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This sounds related to...

Layer is not editable error message but the layer ... - GeoNet, The Esri Community

The recommendation there might be appropriate

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
CoreyMetz
New Contributor II

My file is in the hands of ESRI's parcel fabric team so I will provide an update here once everything is resolved.

0 Kudos
CoreyMetz
New Contributor II

Solved.

My project (.aprx) file ended up being the problem. I tend to keep my project open with multiple tabs since I have 2 different layout and 2 editing maps (one with the topology and one with non-topology layers and my annotations). However, opening the fabric in a brand new project allowed the points to be moved and the topology to update as intended with the fabric.

So in my original project I was able to "reset" it by:

1. Closing ALL tabs/views except Catalog
  2. Saving the project and closing Arcgis Pro
  3. Re-opening Pro
  4. Opening only the map that contains the fabric

I'm now able to edit points again. My working theory is that one of my layouts contains the map that has my fabric topology in it and "activating" the map in that layout may be conflicting with editing the map itself elsewhere in my project.

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello all,

We are trying to reproduce this issue to no avail.

The problem is that it seems to go away once you close and reopen ArcGIS Pro, so even if you send the data it does not guarantee that we can reproduce it 😞

If you have a project that consistently exhibits this error we would love to get it so we can fix it.

0 Kudos