On Export Picture Element in Layout has Border

Jump to solution
10-13-2022 09:11 AM
Labels (1)
ArielLow2146
Frequent Contributor

In Pro 2.9.0 I have a picture element that is displaying a .jpg file. When I look at the element in the layout in Pro I see no border around the element. This is confirmed when checking the border properties. 

ArielLow2146_0-1665677276315.png

ArielLow2146_1-1665677306787.png

However when I export the layout to a pdf there is consistently a border around the image.

ArielLow2146_2-1665677419283.png

I've played around with the export settings and the picture element settings and can't seem to find what is causing the issue.  Anyone have any thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ArielLow2146
Frequent Contributor

Thanks @AubriKinghorn! I checked by opening in a browser as you suggested and was still seeing the issue.

After some additional testing I realized it is only occurring when I have a map series and the Files setting set to 'Single PDF File'. I switched it to multiple pdf files which resolved the issue.

ArielLow2146_0-1665688119056.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

There is an enhance thin lines setting in Adobe Reader or Acrobat that can be turned off. That might fix this problem. Essentially they are taking lines that you can't see very well and making them thicker. It may be that there is an incredibly faint border around the image and Adobe is trying to make it more visible. To check you could also try opening the PDF in a web browser since they don't have this option.

Cheers,
Aubri
ArielLow2146
Frequent Contributor

Thanks @AubriKinghorn! I checked by opening in a browser as you suggested and was still seeing the issue.

After some additional testing I realized it is only occurring when I have a map series and the Files setting set to 'Single PDF File'. I switched it to multiple pdf files which resolved the issue.

ArielLow2146_0-1665688119056.png

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

That's really weird. I'm glad you found a solution that works. If you are willing and able, could you reach out to tech support about logging a bug for your problem? The development team for this would be interesting in investigating further what is going on with the single pdf file. 

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
CaitlinBernier1
Occasional Contributor

I am having this same issue although I am not trying to create a map series so this solution does not work for me.  Here is the situation.  I have an image (I have a tiff, jpg, and/or png to pick from) that was created in ArcScene.  I do not create the image so I do not know the details of their workflow.  I bring the into my ArcGIS Pro 3.1 layout.  It looks fine there.  Then I export the layout as a PDF and the frame around the image appears in the PDF.  I have another image (the logo) also on this layout that DOES NOT create a frame around the image.  If I export to a 24-bit true color tiff (no compression and 600 dpi), I get a very nice image but when that image is saved as a PDF, it will not OCR which is important because the PDF will be published eventually.  I brought the image into ArcMap and exported as a PDF and it looks fine, no frame.  Another note, if I bring the PDF into Photoshop and save it back out as a Photoshop PDF, it 1) removes the frame but 2) it creates an enormous file and 3) messes up the colors...a lot.  No solution there. So this seems like an ArcGIS Pro problem.  Any additional help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos