new features in a layer disappear upon creation (but continue to exist in the attribute table

05-18-2022 10:47 AM
NoamBahat
New Contributor

hi, i am rather new to archgis pro (and GIS in general). I have and odd problem. i created a layer of polygons and after working on it for some time, i started having an issue, every new feature i create on the map disappears from the screen immediately as i finish creating it, but it appears in the attribute table, alas without spatial data.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Do you have unique values on symbology?  If so, and you add a polygon that is not included in the current symbology settings, the feature will not draw, but, will show in the attribute table.

Might check the "Other Values" option and see if they show.

This is for point dataset, but same settings apply:

RhettZufelt_0-1652897012893.png

R_

0 Kudos
NoamBahat
New Contributor

that is what i thought initially, but just to be sure i change the symbology to single value,

also in the attributes table the shape area is 0, and so is shape length, so assume that for some reason it  creates a new row for the polygon, but does not preserve the spatial attributes

0 Kudos
NoamBahat
New Contributor

NoamBahat_0-1652897178803.png

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hmm, that is a puzzler.

Perhaps something has corrupted in the feature class?  I would try the repair geometry tool on the dataset, and see if that resolves it.

R_

0 Kudos
NoamBahat
New Contributor

it didn't work... but i should maybe note, that this was exported from a different layer...

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Not sure where to go from here.

What kind of layer, and what was it imported from?

Guess the next thing I would try is create a new FGDB polygon feature class, import the fields from the current one, and add to the map.

Then, select all the "good" values in the attribute table, copy and paste them into the new feature class.

Then, test editing on the new feature class.  If it "works", replace old FC with new.

R_

0 Kudos
NoamBahat
New Contributor

thanks i'll try that tomorrow

0 Kudos
D_AnneHammond
New Contributor III

I am currently having this same issue in ArcPro 3.2.1.  I'm using the same feature classes I've used for years, single symbology, and this issue now happens for all new features created regardless of data source.  The only way to see the new polygon/point/line after finishing is to select the vertices tool, then the feature is visible.  The new feature(s) continue to show as selected in the attribute table but not in the map, even after committing geometry changes and saving edits - see image 3 attached.

A house point and part of a driveway line should show in image1.  The image2 shows the driveway but only with vertices tool active.