Select to view content in your preferred language

Network Error

06-07-2021 02:30 PM
Labels (1)
SteveHall
New Contributor II

Just an fyi more than a question.

I've been using Pro for almost 3 years now. I have always kept my projects on a network storage drive and worked off the NAS as well.

In the past, I have been able to add a folder connection to my project by right click on folders in the catalog tab and navigate to the folder I want to add (\\networkdrive\projects\project\data). It's worked that way for 3 years. Today when I started a new project and went to add folders in the usual manner, I get a popup "network error cannot access \\networkdrive\projects\project\data". Same results if I use the windoes mapped drive location. 

Checked all permissions. Nothing has changed. ArcMap 10.6.1 has no issues connecting to folders on the same drive. Did lots of searching. No answers.

When reviewing documentation on adding folder connections, one of the options is to drag and drop from file explorer to the catalog tab. I thought no way will this work. But it did and I am glad but it leaves me scratching my head! 🙄

21 Replies
Menno_Schepel
New Contributor

I can confirm that these issues still exist in 3.0.2. According to Esri.nl (translated from Dutch):

It is true that the bug is present in version 3.0.2. The bug was only discovered and fixed after 3.0.2 was released. Patch 5 has been released for version 2.9.x. A patch is yet to come for version 3.0.x.

In my case the bug is not only present when using the Catalog pane (as described in BUG-000141160), or when trying to access a network folder, but also when trying to use 'Save as' from the Project Tab or trying to open the file explorer from within a GP task.

The recommendations from Esri.nl:

• Wait for the next patch, not clear when this will be released
  • Downgrade to 2.9.5

The last option can be somewhat problematic, since 3.x based projects are not backward compatible with 2.x.

A workaround for some (not all) of these problems is to 'Drag and Drop' content or connections directly from your file explorer into ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just found an alternative workaround. I changed my projects "Home" folder to the folder that I couldn't make the connection to before and it worked.

Click the project tab > Options > Current Settings and change the home folder path to the folder you want to connect. Not sure if this will result in corrupt files though.

I'm using version 2.9.0.