Network Error

06-07-2021 02:30 PM
Labels (1)
SteveHall
New Contributor II

Just an fyi more than a question.

I've been using Pro for almost 3 years now. I have always kept my projects on a network storage drive and worked off the NAS as well.

In the past, I have been able to add a folder connection to my project by right click on folders in the catalog tab and navigate to the folder I want to add (\\networkdrive\projects\project\data). It's worked that way for 3 years. Today when I started a new project and went to add folders in the usual manner, I get a popup "network error cannot access \\networkdrive\projects\project\data". Same results if I use the windoes mapped drive location. 

Checked all permissions. Nothing has changed. ArcMap 10.6.1 has no issues connecting to folders on the same drive. Did lots of searching. No answers.

When reviewing documentation on adding folder connections, one of the options is to drag and drop from file explorer to the catalog tab. I thought no way will this work. But it did and I am glad but it leaves me scratching my head! 🙄

21 Replies
MoritzSchilling
New Contributor III

Update using version 3.0.2: still the same error as noted above!

0 Kudos
JohanHeins
New Contributor II
Correct problem still exists in this latest version. Esri.nl also doesn't want to give us a fix date because they don't get it from esri.inc (at least that's what they say)
0 Kudos
NigelTait
New Contributor

Why on earth has this still not been fixed??

JohanHeins
New Contributor II

We escaleted this bug, here is the reaction from esri nl (18-01-2022, translated)

Dear Johan,

It has taken some time to sort out the bug you escalated.
Unfortunately, there is no immediate solution in sight yet,
but they have indicated that they can reproduce the issue with various parties
and are working on implementing a solution.
It is not yet known when this will be resolved.

Sincerely,
Esri Netherlands

AndreasStula
New Contributor

According to the bug report, there is a workaround. Use file explorer, and drop the folder into catalog...works for me in 2.9.1

MoritzSchilling
New Contributor III

Have you read SteveHall's post further up?

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/network-error/m-p/1066135/highlight/true#M41764

Adding folders this way works for me too, but I haven't tried working with files because of him mentioning corrupted files.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am experiencing this same error on ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2. It was working fine on 2.9.2 on my old laptop, moved to a new laptop and it stopped working. For the moment drag and drop is doing the trick but will have to keep an eye out for corrupted files as mentioned above.

0 Kudos
Geobunga
New Contributor III

Everyone in our company using Pro has had this issue for over a year now as well, and still isn't fixed as of 2.9.3. We have gotten by using the drag and drop option for folder connections. Today I am attempting to add dynamic photos to a map series using filepaths in the index layer and it is not working. I have a feeling it is related to this same network error where Pro cannot properly access network folders. How has Esri not fixed this after so long?! Has anyone encountered network related filepath issues in addition to not being able to add folder connections?

BillHegman
New Contributor II

Thanks everyone.  Some people in our organization have this problem but not everyone.  Dragging and dropping a folder from Windows file explorer is the workaround.  Why ESRI hasn't fixed this one yet is perplexing.  

0 Kudos
EsriTG
by
New Contributor II

The issue persists with  version 3.0.2 of ArcGIS Pro.