.NET 4.7 Upgrade breaks ArcGIS Pro

06-07-2017 01:43 PM
Jay_Gregory
Occasional Contributor III

Anyone have problems when they upgrade (or their company installs for them) .NET 4.7 (upgraded from 4.6.1)?  ArcGIS Pro 1.4 suddenly won't open.  When I downgrade to the previous version of .NET ArcGIS Pro works just fine.  I think this might be a bug.  I've also had some colleagues with issues opening the latest version of ArcGIS Earth (upgraded from previous versions) that was also fixed by downgrading .NET from 4.7 to 4.6.1.  Anyone else having this problem?

13 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thank you for posting.  We haven't had any reports of this through technical support, but are looking into it.  

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Jay Gregory‌ We tested Pro 1.4.1 on a Windows 10 Creators edition .NET 4.7 machine - no crash.

Pro 2.0 on a Windows 8.1 with .NET 4.7 - no crash.

Pro 1.4 and 1.4.1 on same Windows 8.1 .NET 4.7 machine - no crashes.

Can you share what operating system you're on?

You said you're using Pro 1.4.  Is there a reason you haven't upgraded to 1.4.1?  

You write that Pro won't open.  So just to double-check, you're not actually doing anything at all in Pro.  You try to open the application and you get the serious application error, correct?

c_sharp_dotnet‌ You "Liked" this post.  Are you experiencing Pro crashes with .NET 4.7?  If so, can you provide answers to the above questions as well.

At this point, we've tested and have not found any conflict.  This may be something that is environment/network-specific, but with more details as requested above, we can try to reproduce again.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Jay_Gregory

KKramer-esristaff

I'm on Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 - I've also upgraded through multiple versions of ArcGIS Pro, I believe starting with 1.1.  It's unclear if the same problem would occur with a new installation of ArcGIS Pro on a machine with .NET 4.7 upgraded from 4.6.1.  

Event Viewer error is as follows:

Log Name: Application
Source: .NET Runtime
Date: 6/8/2017 10:26:17 AM
Event ID: 1026
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: SAWALPEOC111831.ad.faa.gov
Description:
Application: ArcGISPro.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
at MS.Win32.Penimc.UnsafeNativeMethods.CoCreateInstance(System.Guid ByRef, System.Object, Int32, System.Guid ByRef)
at MS.Win32.Penimc.UnsafeNativeMethods.CreatePimcManager()
at MS.Win32.Penimc.UnsafeNativeMethods..cctor()

Exception Info: System.TypeInitializationException
at MS.Win32.Penimc.UnsafeNativeMethods.CreateResetEvent(IntPtr ByRef)
at System.Windows.Input.PenThreadWorker..ctor()
at System.Windows.Input.PenThreadPool.GetPenThreadForPenContextHelper(System.Windows.Input.PenContext)
at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispTabletDeviceCollection.UpdateTabletsImpl()
at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispTabletDeviceCollection.UpdateTablets()
at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispTabletDeviceCollection..ctor()
at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispLogic.get_WispTabletDevices()
at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispLogic.RegisterHwndForInput(System.Windows.Input.InputManager, System.Windows.PresentationSource)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndStylusInputProvider..ctor(System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.Initialize(System.Windows.Interop.HwndSourceParameters)
at System.Windows.Window.CreateSourceWindow(Boolean)
at System.Windows.Window.ShowHelper(System.Object)
at ArcGIS.Desktop.Core.ProApp+<>c.<ShowBuiltInSplash>b__41_0()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-06-08T14:26:17.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>63731</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>SAWALPEOC111831.ad.faa.gov</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Application: ArcGISPro.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
at MS.Win32.Penimc.UnsafeNativeMethods.CoCreateInstance(System.Guid ByRef, System.Object, Int32, System.Guid ByRef)
at MS.Win32.Penimc.UnsafeNativeMethods.CreatePimcManager()
at MS.Win32.Penimc.UnsafeNativeMethods..cctor()

Exception Info: System.TypeInitializationException
at MS.Win32.Penimc.UnsafeNativeMethods.CreateResetEvent(IntPtr ByRef)
at System.Windows.Input.PenThreadWorker..ctor()
at System.Windows.Input.PenThreadPool.GetPenThreadForPenContextHelper(System.Windows.Input.PenContext)
at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispTabletDeviceCollection.UpdateTabletsImpl()
at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispTabletDeviceCollection.UpdateTablets()
at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispTabletDeviceCollection..ctor()
at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispLogic.get_WispTabletDevices()
at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispLogic.RegisterHwndForInput(System.Windows.Input.InputManager, System.Windows.PresentationSource)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndStylusInputProvider..ctor(System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.Initialize(System.Windows.Interop.HwndSourceParameters)
at System.Windows.Window.CreateSourceWindow(Boolean)
at System.Windows.Window.ShowHelper(System.Object)
at ArcGIS.Desktop.Core.ProApp+&lt;&gt;c.&lt;ShowBuiltInSplash&gt;b__41_0()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

0 Kudos
Jay_Gregory

In answer to your other questions, I just haven't had the chance to upgrade to 1.4.1, but I could try tomorrow.  And yes, I am not even presented with a Pro splash screen or any indication of UI - I am just immediately presented with the error screen attached to my original message.  This could most certainly be an isolated incident, I just know that downgrading .NET fixed it on my machine, and I've had some other colleagues with similar issues resolved by downgrading .NET with the latest release of ArcGIS Earth on the same Windows OS.  

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

What is the make and model of your machine?  Same or different from others seeing the crash?

0 Kudos
Jay_Gregory

Mine is a Dell Latitude E7440 - I'll check with my colleagues on theirs but if not the same then very similar.  

0 Kudos
Jay_Gregory

My other colleague's machine is is a Dell Latitude E7470

0 Kudos
mfcallahan
Occasional Contributor II

I'm not experiencing any issues, I'm just watching this post out of curiosity as I will be installing the latest .NET version on my machine in the near future.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

OK, thanks.  We're going to review the event viewer log that Jay posted, and we'll need to test on a Windows 7 machine, but so far as stated above, we tested Pro 1.4.1 on a Windows 10 Creators edition .NET 4.7 machine - no crash.

Pro 2.0 on a Windows 8.1 with .NET 4.7 - no crash.

Pro 1.4 and 1.4.1 on same Windows 8.1 .NET 4.7 machine - no crashes.

0 Kudos