Select to view content in your preferred language

Need to symbolize feature layer by attribute in related table

08-02-2023 05:01 AM
AngelaSchirck
Occasional Contributor III

I have a parcels feature layer and a related table with info (such as sales, property use, etc).  I need to symbolize the parcels layer by attributes in the related table. I tried using a view and symbolizing it and this works great, until I want to publish it to Enterprise Portal as referenced registered data.  Apparently views can only be published as hosted feature layers.  This is a problem as my parcel layer is constantly being updated and would require constant overwriting of the hosted feature layer. 

I also tried Arcade expressions "FeatureSetBy" to access the related table features, but this function is not available in symbology (only popups and labeling).  ESRI gives some reason like performance issues for not having this available.  

So my question: Does anyone know a workaround so I can symbolize this from the related table and publish as "referenced registered data" ??

I've looked into "representations" but Cannot figure that out (if you think this would work can you point me to some help pages?)

4 Replies
AriLukas
Occasional Contributor

@AngelaSchirck

A potential workaround I have used on AGOL would be to publish your parcel layer to your portal as a hosted feature layer and then create a view; configure the hosted view how you want it. Once everything is published go into Pro and open model builder. Use Delete Rows or Truncate Table GP tool (I have had better luck with Delete Rows, though it takes longer) to remove all records from hosted parcel layer. Then use the Append GP tool to append your current parcel data to the hosted layer. You can then schedule your model to run in Pro at whatever time/interval you decide. 

This process will allow you to update your parcel data with the latest and greatest and have edits feed down to the hosted view layer while keeping all your formatting the way you want. I have included a screen shot of what model would look like in Pro (in my case for updating building footprints).

AriLukas_1-1690984691415.png

Hope this helps as a workaround!

AngelaSchirck

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

0 Kudos
AngelaSchirck

One quick question.  Is your "current lexington building structures" a view or the actual building footprint layer?  If I use my parcels layer there, the info I need is not in it, but the related table.  In order for all the attributes in my hosted view to be populated, should I do it from the view I created in pro?

Thanks

0 Kudos
AriLukas
Occasional Contributor

My "Current Lexington building Structures" is our live and current building structure feature layer that resides in our enterprise sde.  After re-reading your post, you would need to publish your parcel and related table as a hosted feature layer and create a hosted view while on your portal. If you are using the related table for all your symbology settings you  would need to Truncate/Delete table of hosted layer and Append newly updated info to the now empty hosted table. Once the hosted table has had the new info Appended to it, it will all feed down to the view.

You may not actually even need to create a view if you use workflow I described above. You may just be able to work directly on hosted layer and not have to worry about your symbology be messed up because you aren't technically overwriting the layer

0 Kudos