Select to view content in your preferred language

Need Help! How to import Shapefiles with extensions of .dbf, .prj, .shp, and .shx?

Jump to solution
3 weeks ago
Labels (3)
MLSaboy
New Contributor

I will apologize up front. I am extremely green to using ArcGIS Pro. I have been sent a set of files, but I have no idea on how to open these files. The 4 files that I received all have a file extension of .dbf , .prj , .shp and .shx. 

MLSaboy_0-1720018284827.png

I used MS Excel to view the .dbf file, but I really need help pulling all of these files into a project. 

I need to know how to load these file into ArcGIS Pro? 

I apologize again, I am extremely new to ArcGIS as of today and any assistance is very much appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardHowe
Occasional Contributor III

Each of those individual files together comprise a single shapefile, but they all hold different pieces of information (e.g. the dbf has the attributes, the prj has the projection info). 

If you open ArcGIS, insert a new map and click the add data button (big yellow plus) and navigate to the location of those files you will see it recognises it as a single shapefile which you can add to a map

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RichardHowe
Occasional Contributor III

Each of those individual files together comprise a single shapefile, but they all hold different pieces of information (e.g. the dbf has the attributes, the prj has the projection info). 

If you open ArcGIS, insert a new map and click the add data button (big yellow plus) and navigate to the location of those files you will see it recognises it as a single shapefile which you can add to a map