Nearest points

05-07-2018 11:20 AM
RonBabcock
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I have a basic license for ArcGIS Pro.  I want to do the following:

: find the closest point from selected features in one layer to points in another layer.

: create a line between each of the sets of points

: calculate the distance and bearing of each line

I don't have access to the Near tool.  Do I have to buy the Advanced version to get access to the Near tool or can you buy individual tools?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ron

12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I have a Near as Table variant in

Point Tools for Pro it doesn't use Near, it uses NumPy.  Give it a whirl.

I also have code to do the rest, I just have to look around for it.  

If you have a sample dataset (anonymized of course) with just the geometry and oid field and whatever else needed, I can see what I have that you don't have with the basic license.

RonBabcock
New Contributor II

Hi Dan, thanks for the quick response.  I've attached a zip file containing two shapefiles.  I'm hoping to get the distance and bearing between selected points (or all points) in the measure plots shapefile and the nearest point in the GPS shapefile.  Thanks again for your help.  Ron

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Ron... something to do this evening

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Ron, there is something wrong with the shapefile (the merged on)

Could you make a file geodatabase and copy your source files into it and zip and ship the gdb?

It may be corrupt on transfer since I can't do the copy on my end... It shows up fine, but keeps failing to copy

Nevermind, converted them to points array, then back into geodatabase featureclasses.

Onward.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Look right?

RonBabcock
New Contributor II

Yes, that looks right.  Sorry for the delay... just got the kids to bed.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

A quick demo for the top left grouping

of course with the stuff in the table but you can get an idea

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Dont' know if you are still interested, but before I roll out the final copy, everything check out.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Point Tools for Pro updated 2018-05-09

Closest between layers

• returns the origin, destination coordinates, the distance and angle to the closest and connects them with a polyline.

Closest within layer

• You get to choose how many up to 5 connections and polylines are produced

Closest within table

• A table variant with all the bumph of where and what and how far.  You can use this as an event layer to generate all your own points and/or connections.