Select to view content in your preferred language

My question is pretty simple - Why?

07-20-2016 05:15 AM
PaulJordan
Regular Contributor

Why ArcGIS Pro?  I can't find anything to like about this application.  The flat GUI makes everything look like background.  The app crashes with alarming regularity.  The interface is worlds away from that of ArcGIS.  Why?   And as with previous major releases it almost seems that the development team had no contact with the developers of ArcGIS desktop.  One might think that the radical changes are a deliberate attempt to force users into ESRI training programs for a hefty fee.

Bottom line - not at all happy with Pro.

49 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don't know why people are complaining about it's replacement. It's a work in progress and Arcmap is showing it's age. They had to do it for multi-threading and 64 bit. There are free programs out there that have all these things so it would be a bad business decision to not design something newer. The ribbon can go though. I still don't understand how that menu system is supposed to increase productivity. I've used it on AutoCAD and Office products for 5 years and it takes up too much screen real estate.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Paul -

I do want to address some workflows to troubleshoot your ArcGIS Pro crashes:

1. First, determine if your hardware is "Pro ready" - the ArcGIS Pro 1.3 system requirements may be found here:  ArcGIS Pro 1.3 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop
  2. An online tool "Can your computer run ArcGIS Pro?" may be found here:  Can You Run It?
  3. Determine your make/model of your video card and update the video card driver directly from the manufacturer's website.  Windows Update will not provide the latest/greatest drivers.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Robert LeClair

Esri-Denver

Oliver_Burdekin
Frequent Contributor

I find Arc Pro 1.2 crashes so often on my machine that it is unusable. The machine exceeds the minimum requirements and all drivers are up to date. The most common error is "Display Driver Stopped Responding and has Recovered". I've tried rolling back drivers, installing new ones, everything I can think of.

It is a shame because I would really like to investigate the potential of Pro. I would be sad to see ArcMap retired but understand the reasoning and appreciate things must continue to change but... I simply cannot use Pro. Let's hope 1.3 is an improvement and more stable.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Oliver - I've researched your Pro crash message (I too experience this as well) and found out that there are two bugs related to Dell Latitude machines - BUG-000088793 and BUG-000088793.  One resolution is to change the Rendering Engine from DirectX to OpenGL.  Launch Pro, go to About ArcGIS Pro (bottom of the screen), on the back stage (left panel), click Options->Display and change the Rendering Engine to OpenGL.  Does the error message/crashing continue?  Pls advise.

Oliver_Burdekin
Frequent Contributor

I'm on an Acer not a Dell but I'll definitely look into this Robert. Thanks for the information and taking the time to research the error. I've installed 1.3 and it is less prone to crashing (but still does). When it's not crashing the rendering performance is excellent (even in 3D) and I'm really looking forward to trying the fixes you've suggested. Thanks again,

Oliver

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

FYI switching from DirectX to OpenGL helps in situations where even the latest driver may have some bugs in one API or the other.  That's why we included it as a troubleshooting option (to be able to switch between APIs).

Unfortunately if the crash occurs in the GPU driver itself, many times we can't get proper error reports on it. 

EVERYONE: Make sure when you get crashes that produce error reports you're sending them in - we evaluate these at each release and they allow us to fix lots of issues.

HectorBorro1
Deactivated User

for larger than usual error reports, where can we send them?

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Hector,

The email address to send them to is on the dialog that says "Error Report too Large".  It is ArcGISErrorReport@esri.com.

Regards,

Jeremy W.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Related - there's a new Blog article on Troubleshooting Performance Issues in ArcGIS Pro - a good read!  Troubleshooting Performance Issues in ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Blog

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for this helpful link.

0 Kudos