Select to view content in your preferred language

Must close Pro in order for register as versioned to take effect

11-27-2018 07:47 AM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Why is it that when a feature dataset is locked for editing and I go to register it as versioned, the data is still locked until I close and reopen the project?  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JonathanFarmer_oldaccount
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Josh,

Can you tell me more about your workflow where you see this issue? I did some quick testing on my end and I can be in the middle of creating new features or updating attributes in Pro and register or un-register the feature dataset as versioned. I only actually get a lock when the versioning process is underway.

Jonathan

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Typically I try to create a feature and encounter a schema lock.  One of the first things I check is whether or not the dataset is versioned.  Usually that is the issue (probably made a major change to the something in the dataset, my weekly updates from the County usually causes this on a few datasets if I forget to re-register them).  In Pro I find the dataset and click Manage...Register as versioned.  It runs its process seemingly fine but when I try to create the feature again, I encounter the same lock.  So, I close the project and reopen it and try to create a feature again and the lock has disappeared.  This is not unique to Pro, I had the same issue with ArcMap.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos

Hi Josh,

Thanks for that workflow. I still can't seem to reproduce the behavior so I'll go through my workflow here and you can let me know if something is off.

1. Open an existing Pro project. This one happens to have a map inserted and some connections made to Enterprise geodatabases already
  2. Expand one of my geodatabase connections in the Catalog pane and choose a feature dataset that is not registered as versioned
  3. Drag that feature dataset into the map so all it's contents are displayed
  4. Right click the feature dataset in the Catalog pane and go to Manage > Register as Versioned
  5. In the Contents pane, I do see that each layer has a lock symbol next to it during this process. Once the process ends, the locks go away
  6. The map will refresh and then I can go to the Edit tab and click Create to add new features without issue. 

I'm using Pro 2.2.4 on my end. Anything stand out as different here?

Jonathan

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

On the surface your process above is correct.  Where the issue happens though is when I try to edit a feature that is not registered as versioned.  I attempt to remedy the situation but I still get the error message about the lock.  And again, my workaround is to save and close the project and then reopen it.  I know that exact condition is going to be tough to replicate on your end.  I am happy to hear that this is not a software wide issue and appears to be something specific to me but then again, I have no idea what might be causing the issue.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos

Hi Josh,

Yeah, this doesn't seem to be easily reproducible here. I just tried another test, editing a feature that is not registered as versioned, then (while still in the edit mode) registering the feature dataset as versioned, and then editing again. I didn't see any locks on my end.

At this point, we'd start looking for reasons as to why the locks are not releasing. Maybe something in the software is causing it? Something with the machine? The account that is being used to connect to the database? Just some of the paths we'd go down next. 

If you do want to troubleshoot this further, you can always create a case with Support. There may be some little piece of our workflows that are different that is making a difference here.

Jonathan

0 Kudos
ClaireInbody1
Occasional Contributor

We are unable to edit any version dataset using an Active directory group. How have you setup your editing to work for versioning. 

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I don't know exactly how our network is set up.  I actually have both an OS connection and a SQL connection just in case.  It doesn't seem to make much of a difference.  I versioned my data because at one point I had another editor that was working with my data.  I really don't need that anymore as the only editing I don't do is through feature services.  But I still have the issues with schema locks not releasing when I register the feature class as versioned again.  So over my head and outside my comfort zone but I am trying to learn.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos