Select to view content in your preferred language

Multiple basemaps in a Map

Jump to solution
04-16-2015 03:46 PM
MichaelPolly
Deactivated User

With ArcPro, it appears you can have only one basemap in any given Map. Why is that? Why not be able to have multiple basemaps as you can with ArcMap? Sure, you add a basemap (and thereby remove the existing one) - but there are times when it is useful to be able to switch between basemaps as you view/edit data.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Michael,

One way you can add multiple basemaps is by adding the basemaps as an Item to your ArcGIS Online Organization.  See the section 'Add Items from the Web' from the below link:

Add items—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

You can then click Add Data and browse to the desired basemap under Portal.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Michael,

One way you can add multiple basemaps is by adding the basemaps as an Item to your ArcGIS Online Organization.  See the section 'Add Items from the Web' from the below link:

Add items—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

You can then click Add Data and browse to the desired basemap under Portal.

MartinAlexander1
Emerging Contributor

Hi Mr. Skinner, thanks for taking the time to answer Michael Polly's question. I have a follow-up:

I am lost at instruction "Add Data and browse to the desired basemap under Portal."

When I "Add an item from the web" it takes me to a page with 6 radio buttons (I assume I select 1st radio button 'ArcGIS Server web Service') and offers me a URL text box, a Title text box and a Tags text box. I do not see "Add Data" nor anywhere to browse to desired basemap under Portal. Any help would be appreciated (or allowing us to add more than 1 basemap like in Arcmap;). I understand the procedure may have changed in last 3 years.

Thanks for your time,

-martin

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Hi Martin,

Can you send a screen shot of what you are seeing?

0 Kudos
MartinAlexander1
Emerging Contributor

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

You first need to add the basemap to your AGOL/Portal Organization:

After it's added as an item, you'll be able to add it in ArcGIS Pro by going to the Add Data button:

MartinAlexander1
Emerging Contributor

You're a hero Jake, much appreciated sir!

0 Kudos
HagenProbsthain1
Regular Contributor

Hi,

another simple way is to add the desired basemaps in ArcMap, save them as lyr files and add the lyr files to ArcGIS Pro.