Move multiple geometry sections at once

07-19-2021 10:47 AM
ByronUsswald
New Contributor II

Hi everybody. I need some help with some resources.

Outline of problem: I have 3 different layers. 2 point layers and one line layer. The 2 points are attached to the line. I have a 4th point layer that I want to replace one of the original point layers with, and move the geometry of the other 2 layers to meet this new point.

What I want to do: I have a new point layer that shares the same attributes as one of my original point layers, except that these points have been GPS'd and the location has changed. What I want to do is move over the other point and line layer to join onto this newly GPS'd point layer and update the locations of all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I can give a lengthy explanation using a combination of geometry and or analysis queries. However, how many points are we talking.  if it is as few about a thousand points I would just move them manually and then use near tables to transfer attributes of the points and just use the old lines.  or just create a geometric network on the existing and move them to the new locations. 

ByronUsswald
New Contributor II

We're talking roughly 800 points that I want the line edges to move over to the new points. When you say create near tables, could you expand a bit more on that?

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Near tables are a geoprocessing tool that will store the attributes of a near feature that you can use in a join to transfer attributes.

However, if you only have 800 lines to move I would simply open the features in ArcMap instead and simply move them. Create Data Driven pages on the lines to move so you don't miss any.  

0 Kudos