Migration from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro - Databases

Jump to solution
08-14-2018 07:41 AM
ToddUlery
Occasional Contributor

When you import Map from mxd - to Pro Project:
The sources are still connected to the previous.

Is there a workflow for migrating the GDB's that are sources from the original to the Pro Project.

I understand the copy tools, but wondering if ESRI had a different workflow for this, with some other methods to ease the migration process?

#arcgis pro 2.x

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanFarmer_oldaccount
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Todd,

You are correct, the Import Map functionality in ArcGIS Pro does not actually move the data anywhere. So if I have a feature class in an MXD that is coming out of an enterprise geodatabase and I use the Import Map functionality in Pro to import the MXD, my data is still in that same enterprise geodatabase. We aren't creating a new connection in your Pro project to that enterprise geodatabase and sourcing the data from there. Hope that makes sense.

Besides the usual ways to re-source data in Pro, have you thought about using Python? If you have legacy MXD's with a lot of layers and symbology setup that you don't want to recreate in Pro, you can use Import Map and then use Python to resource all the data.

Updating and fixing data sources—ArcPy | ArcGIS Desktop 

Once you wrote one script, it would probably be easy to tweak it a bit for each Pro project. But I am not aware of any tools we have in place to do this at the moment.

Jonathan 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you want data in a file gdb that can be used in multiple Pro aprx files saved in every aprx folder or do you want to share file gdbs across aprx files?  You will have a good deal of data duplication if saving data in every aprx file gdb, unless you store enterprise data in an SDE database already.

0 Kudos
ToddUlery
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response, but I am just speaking about the migration of MXD to PRO - the GDB sourced in MXD and how this might be apart of the import workflow in PRO. Importing MXD to Pro does not migrate GDB, so I am trying to understand ESRI's workflow with this part of the migration process. If they are just expecting us to use TOOLS to move the data and then manually resource the layers in the imported map.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

What GDB data are you looking to migrate, as I would think SDE data would stay in the same place regardless of ArcMap or Pro?  Is it file gdb data that you would want moved into the file gdb created for each individual Pro project?

0 Kudos
JonathanFarmer_oldaccount
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Todd,

You are correct, the Import Map functionality in ArcGIS Pro does not actually move the data anywhere. So if I have a feature class in an MXD that is coming out of an enterprise geodatabase and I use the Import Map functionality in Pro to import the MXD, my data is still in that same enterprise geodatabase. We aren't creating a new connection in your Pro project to that enterprise geodatabase and sourcing the data from there. Hope that makes sense.

Besides the usual ways to re-source data in Pro, have you thought about using Python? If you have legacy MXD's with a lot of layers and symbology setup that you don't want to recreate in Pro, you can use Import Map and then use Python to resource all the data.

Updating and fixing data sources—ArcPy | ArcGIS Desktop 

Once you wrote one script, it would probably be easy to tweak it a bit for each Pro project. But I am not aware of any tools we have in place to do this at the moment.

Jonathan 

ToddUlery
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, this clears it up for me. Thanks for the link also

0 Kudos