Metadata does not display spatial reference

05-08-2020 06:36 AM
Saskia_Martin
New Contributor II

Hi Esri-community! 

I am currently struggling with finding the spatial reference data in the metadata -- so the .DEM data shows the spatial reference all right, but the .sph does not -- any particular reasons for that? 

I am using Pro, the layout for the metadata is the same and I defined a projection (WGS84), so it's present in the properties. I am not sure if and how to manually insert the spatial reference - I thought it's done automatically by ArcGIS when defining the projection?

Thanks!! 

/Saskia

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Right Click --> Properties --> Source --> Spatial Reference ?

0 Kudos
Saskia_Martin
New Contributor II

Like I mentioned, it's available in the properties, but not in the metadata, and I need it in the metadata as I need to export it as an HTML file to share it with someone. 

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Apologies, maybe it's just how you're choosing to view the metadata?

0 Kudos
Saskia_Martin
New Contributor II

Changing the theme doesn't change anything either, unfortunately, tried all of them. It seems to be with the shapefile I think. It didn't have a coordinate system before and I defined the projection. I thought it would automatically be implemented in the metadata then but it doesn't seem to be the case?

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

perhaps Upgrade metadata to the ArcGIS format—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

If you do eventually find the answer it would be great to know, as I'm sure I'll bump into the same problem in the future.

0 Kudos
Saskia_Martin
New Contributor II

Solved it -- needed to hit the synchronized button. ArcGIS Pro does not update/synchronize whenever changes are being made (like defining a spatial reference). 

TomaszBartus
New Contributor III

I have a shapefile aaa.shp that did not have a defined spatial reference, I added spatial reference to the file using the Define Projection tool. The tool assigned the appropriate spatial reference to the aaa.shp file. Unfortunately, information about it did not appear in the metainformation. I tried doing Catalog > Metadata > Synchronize. Without any results. Of course, I use a metadata template that should display Spatial Reference information. I also tried to edit the metadata but I have no idea how to enter it correctly. Any ideas?...

Tomek

0 Kudos
TomaszBartus
New Contributor III

The issue has been resolved. The metadata not synchronize issue for some .shp files in ArcGIS Pro is the .shp.xml file. If such a problem occurs, remove the file from the folder and synchronize the metadata again. That does the trick.
Tomek Bartuś

0 Kudos