Merging Features

Jump to solution
Tuesday
TimothyFratta
New Contributor III

I am trying to merge three polygons (basically property parcels) into one. When I use the merge tool (Edit -> Modify -> Merge), I simply cannot get more than one feature listed under "Features to merge", even if all three features appear selected on my map.

Why is this happening, what am I missing???

TimothyFratta_0-1721772807824.png

The above image shows that all three features are selected.

TimothyFratta_1-1721772841008.png

But I cannot figure out how to make them present in the "Features to merge" list.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

If you are trying to merge data from separate layers, I think you are looking for the Merge (or Append) GPT tool, not the Edit, Modify, Merge.

Edit -> Modify -> Merge:

"The Merge tool combines two or more features on the same layer into an existing feature or unions two or more features into a new feature. Features that do not touch or overlap, merge as parts of a multipart feature. This tool is available in the Modify Features pane." 

Data Management -> Merge Geoprocessing Tool:

"Combines multiple input datasets into a single, new output dataset. This tool can combine point, line, or polygon feature classes or tables." 

RhettZufelt_1-1721833600019.png

R_

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

are you following this?

Merge features into one feature—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
TimothyFratta
New Contributor III

I have, to the letter. But it's not working, as I tried to explain in my question: I cannot get the function to list the two features I am trying to merge. That's my whole problem.

Thanks!

Tim

0 Kudos
Georgios-NektariosTselos
New Contributor III

Hi @TimothyFratta, probably you could use the Merge tool (Data Management) from the geoprocessing tools. Also you can check the link below, https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/merge.htm .

Additionaly I suggest to you to try to merge first the polygons   'Hester_East' with 'Hester_South' and the product of those two with the 'Hester_North' 

Kind Regards

Georgios-Nektarios Tselos

0 Kudos
TimothyFratta
New Contributor III

Hi Georgios,

I have looked at that, but cannot understand why the much simpler function does not work.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

If you are trying to merge data from separate layers, I think you are looking for the Merge (or Append) GPT tool, not the Edit, Modify, Merge.

Edit -> Modify -> Merge:

"The Merge tool combines two or more features on the same layer into an existing feature or unions two or more features into a new feature. Features that do not touch or overlap, merge as parts of a multipart feature. This tool is available in the Modify Features pane." 

Data Management -> Merge Geoprocessing Tool:

"Combines multiple input datasets into a single, new output dataset. This tool can combine point, line, or polygon feature classes or tables." 

RhettZufelt_1-1721833600019.png

R_

0 Kudos
TimothyFratta
New Contributor III

Thank you very much. That makes sense!

0 Kudos
TimothyFratta
New Contributor III

Addenda: once I used the Geoprocessing merge tool, the three polygons were merged, but they maintained their individual borders.

However they were now in the same layer and I was finally able to the use the Edit -> Merge tool as I initially had planned to and create a polygon that is truly the combination of all three.

Thanks all for the help!

0 Kudos