Select to view content in your preferred language

Merge model builder does not preserve Field Map setting

10-07-2021 08:44 PM
LucileFayolle
New Contributor II

ArcGIS 2.8.3

In my model builder I use the merge tool with the field map to reconciliate the fields of the two data source. Problem is: When I set the field map, validate by clicking ok and reopen the tool, if I click to change anything in the tool, the field map reset. Even if I change the output field name, the field map reset.

It look exactly like the bug that happened with the Append tool in 2019 (See post about it and esri answer)

I wonder if it is a common issue or it may be related to my model. I consider using the Append tool to replace this or even some Calculate field, but would rather keep the Merge.

Thank you

Tags (1)
5 Replies
SarahHartholt
Occasional Contributor III

I am currently experiencing the same thing. I started creating a set of models a few months ago. Some of the input data has changed so I've had to re-map fields in my Merge tool. I add and map 9 new fields, click ok to accept the changes and run my model. The GP tool following the Merge tool fails and says that a field does not exist within the table (ERROR 000728). When I open the merge tool in the model again the 9 fields that I mapped are no longer there.

PhilipMarty
New Contributor III

Is this a logged bug? This is so frustrating. I have the exact same issue.

Any way to escalate it?

0 Kudos
aynow
by
New Contributor

I had the a similar issue when using Merge with inline variable substitution in files paths. The only workaround I could find was to replace the variables with hard-coded paths (unfortunately).

0 Kudos
DaveronSmith
New Contributor

Still an issue, significantly impacts workflows. (ArcPro 3.0.4)

CMorneau
New Contributor II

Our team just recently upgraded to Pro 3.2.2.  The upgrade appears to have messed up something with the Merge process within one of my Model Builder tools.  My Field Map in Merge was setup so that a couple of fields would be positioned a certain way in the model's output table.  The upgrade appears to have caused the Merge Field Map to be reset.  I understand that can happen.  But when I edit the model & reposition the fields to my liking, the setup no longer persists.  I've tried a bunch of fixes, including replacing the Merge process altogether with a new instance of Merge.  Exposing the Field Map variable in the model, even setting it as a parameter, doesn't preserve my fields order.  Am I missing something, or is this yet another Field Map bug?