Memory usage

07-15-2019 04:36 AM
MarcelSt-Germain
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I have a question about memory usage of arcgis Pro.

How do Pro manage the memory?  We like to move to Pro since finaly the arcview 3 usefulness is coming back (one data many layout) but, I just start importing my template and see the memory usage top very high.

For a 45k aprx the memory usage top more than 15 gigs of memory on win 7 with all maps open no layout and just over 14 for everything closed (around 3 gigs for win and others thinks).  For the other one 3k it use 3 gigs.

For these memory usage I can’t see how we can manage what we had done in av3 time, with few maps and 50+ layouts.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Your Pro install is only using 15 GB of RAM? 

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain

Not exactly.  It's not the installation but my project.  We have many layout template made in arcmap (8).  So, to begin the transition I import these layout and make four maps because we have up to 3 series maps in some layouts before adjusting them.

So this 15+ gigs of use is with this particular aprx.

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain

This morning the memory top less than 4,5 Gigs so about 1,5 for the project???  Very strange.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I just start importing my template

Importing template?  What exactly are you importing?  Are these Pro templates or old ArcGIS Desktop templates you are importing?

For a 45k aprx the memory usage top more than 15 gigs of memory

The size of your APRX file won't have a lot to do with the overall amount of RAM the application is using.  Just like with ArcGIS Desktop, the MXD or APRX file commonly references data sets, it doesn't embed them.  You can have a tiny APRX that references huge datasets, and you can have a moderate-size APRX that references very small datasets.  It is the datasets and what you are doing with them that drives RAM usage more than the size of the APRX.

with all maps open no layout and just over 14 for everything closed

So, I read that as having only map views open and no layouts.  I don't understand the "just over 14 for everything closed"

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain

Sorry, I'm not bilingual so, my english is not top.

The just over 14 mean 14 Gigs after closing all tabs.

Very strange, that project use around 15 gigs of ram most of the time, last week and, today just 7 gigs now. 

Importing arcmap project not pro template since we check if Pro can do the job in cartography.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

My experience is that if you have the resources Pro will use them (unlike 32-bit ArcMap which is limited to 4G per process, in a single thread). The best way to test is what you are doing, give it a try and see how well it performs.

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain

Thanks, I think it's because somehow, Pro is putting a chache in the Ram an, somehow clear it after a crash or others ways.

0 Kudos