Measure and Create Line

11-05-2018 11:35 AM
MichaelFettkether
New Contributor

I'm having some trouble with the Create Line "right click distance" feature.  If I measure a distance and then try to create a line of specified distance, the two do not match.  It appears the distance entry is not accurate when I sketch something.  ArcGIS Pro 2.2.3

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What is the difference in the numbers?  Coordinate systems being used?  If one is Web Mercator, be forewarned that that projection is no good for distance or area

MichaelFettkether
New Contributor

If I measure a lot line, I get 101.22 feet. I then draw a line over the top of it with a specified distance on 101.22, and then measure that line the distance is 74.51 feet.  NAD 1983 Iowa North ft is my coordinate plane.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

so... not a feet vs meters thing.  Data and map are all in the same coordinate system?  There was no basemap added to taint the map coordinate system before you added the data?

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael,

To add to Dan's questions, what measurement mode are you using with the measure tool? By default, the tool uses Geodesic, but if you are using a projected coordinate system, you should use Planar.

See this help document:

Measure—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael,

That is certainly odd behavior. Does the issue persist if you close and re-open ArcGIS Pro?

Does the issue occur in a new Map in the same Project, or in a new Project altogether?

0 Kudos
MichaelFettkether
New Contributor

Yes, the issue persists if I close and re-open pro.

Here is how I can recreate the issue.  Start a new blank project.  Create a new map. Set the coordinate system to NAD 1983 2011 StatePlane Iowa North FIPS 1401 Ft US.  Create a new feature class and also set the coordinate system to the same.  Try and measure something and draw a line a specific distance.  Does not come out the same.  

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael,

Thanks for providing the steps. I've reproduced the behavior, and it is a bug. I've logged it as the following defect for ArcGIS Pro:

[BUG-000117960 Incorrect distance constraints applied when creating new features in the first map of a newly created Project.]

Please contact us in Esri Technical Support at 888-377-4575 to have a case attached to the defect.

In my testing, the issue does not occur once the project is saved > closed > re-opened. Are you not able to resolve it after closing the project?

-Scott

MichaelFettkether
New Contributor

Save > Close > Re-open seems to solve the issue like you said.  In my work files, this also appears to fix the issue, but i do know that the issue will come back.  I save and close everyday, but I have not been able to get the distance tool to work on several occasions. 

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for checking on that. So if you notice it come back, please let me know the pattern that triggers it. So far, it seems to be when creating new features in the first map of a newly created Project; however, I'd be interested to find out if there are other occurrences.

-Scott

0 Kudos