Select to view content in your preferred language

Matching feature transparency in Legend Symbol - ArcGIS Pro

08-24-2015 12:49 PM
AliForrester
New Contributor II

I have transparency set on some of my feature layers, but this is not showing up in the legend on my layout.  Having these match was the default in ArcMap, so I have no idea where the setting is to get them to match.  Does anyone know how to have the legend symbol transparency match the map feature?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TheoFaull
Occasional Contributor III

right click the data frame, properties, general tab. Check the box next to 'Simulate layer transparency in legends'.

EDIT: whoops! you were asking about ArcGIS Pro, not ArcMap. My bad...

0 Kudos
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

That option is not available in Pro. It isn't needed, because the legend should pick up the actual transparency of the color automatically (another advantage of true transparency rather than having to simulate it by making colors lighter). If you aren't seeing that there may be something else going on. Can you provide more details about how you set transparency in the features? What kind of data are you using?

I tried a couple of different things, like setting the transparency on a layer (polygon features) and also going into the layer symbology and setting transparency on the color used by a single class. In both cases the legend updated correctly.

Edited to add: I checked and it turns out this is a bug that is fixed in ArcGIS Pro 1.3, which is why it works for me. Look for the fix in 1.3 when that comes out - hopefully around the time of the UC or so.

akreiger
New Contributor

The problem with having no control over the simulation of layer transparency in the legend is that when there are multiple layers in your map with overlapping features the color of upper transparent layers will appear darker than they would without those underlying layers. The patch in the legend (when displayed over a white background, for example) is not the same color as the symbology as it appears in the map in these cases. 

0 Kudos