Maplex Labelling is grayed out

Jump to solution
11-02-2018 07:50 AM
RandyMcGregor1
New Contributor III

I have home-use ArcGIS Pro and Desktop. 

In ArcGIS Pro, I cannot activate maplex - it is grayed out and unresponsive. I can turn on maplex in Desktop. 

How do I activate it in ArcGIS Pro?

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

Randy McGregor

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

I can repro what you're seeing.  by the looks of it you are in layout view and have a layer selected in the contents pane.

it is not possible to change the label engine from the layer contextual menu.

you will need to select the map in the contents pane and then on the Layout tab in the map group click Activate

you'll then have the Map ribbon and from the Labeling group you can change the label engine

View solution in original post

5 Replies
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Randy 

Maplex is the default label engine for Pro and is available at all license levels.  Where is it that you're seeing it greyed out?

Wendy

RandyMcGregor1
New Contributor III

It doesn't seem to be active - i.e. labels don't wrap, and when I select "More" in the label tab, the Maplex option is grayed out. I am unable to select it.

Thank you,

Randy

0 Kudos
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Are you in layout view?  could you try opening up the map and going through there?

0 Kudos
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

I can repro what you're seeing.  by the looks of it you are in layout view and have a layer selected in the contents pane.

it is not possible to change the label engine from the layer contextual menu.

you will need to select the map in the contents pane and then on the Layout tab in the map group click Activate

you'll then have the Map ribbon and from the Labeling group you can change the label engine

RandyMcGregor1
New Contributor III

Thank you! That was exactly it. I'm maplexing now.

I appreciate your assistance.

Randy McGregor