map series with multiple maps per page

01-26-2021 07:28 PM
gemhud2
New Contributor

Hello,

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.7.0 and trying to create a map series with multiple maps. I know only one map series can be created per page currently, however I have seen other posts that suggest what I am trying to do may be possible using constraints as described here: Multiple Map Frame for Map Series - GeoNet, The Esri Community

I have a gazetteer of 175 geographical sites that I want to present five to a page with a map and dynamic text linking to several attribute fields in a horizontal panel (shown in attached file). The map series can be spatial using the point features of the sites which are saved in a point feature class of geodatabase. The point features have a table of attribute data which can be used as dynamic text.

I had an idea to create 5 layouts with the map series applied to each map and attribute horizontal section in turn, then copy and paste the correct map from each map series to make 35 layouts with sites 1-5, 6-10, 11-15 etc displayed in order. This is going to take some time though. 

Does anyone have any ideas for a better way to automate this process to achieve my desired layouts?

Thanks for any help you can offer 

9 Replies
MarcelSt-Germain
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I think I have similar problem linking  Map Series/Dynamic Text function.

I read the information and it's unclear.  We always have a feature polygon with each maps extend with a unique page id.

I’m missing something?  In arcmap, the datadriven page was for layout and, we can have 2 dataframes one with datadriven page activated and the other one with just and extend.

In Pro, mapseries (wich for me is wrong since its layout series),  I can’t find the way to activate the mapseries on one of the map and just leave the other one with a fix extend.  If I have a layout with two maps or more, the mapseries (layout series) tab look when navigate to apply to all maps which is very annoying.  Like I said, in arc map, we only apply the data driven pages to one of the data frames (maps in pro).  It's not what we need but, we live with it.  The annotations was duplicated for the map without data driven but, with some adjustment it was not to bad.

So someone has found how?

Like I told before, a real mapseries link to each map and is what we need and ESRI doesn’t look forward to implement it and stick, like in arcmap, to a layout series.

GeoprocessamentoCerradinho
New Contributor III

I have the same problem with map series pages for two or more map frames in a layout, only one map frame is updated. Have anyone a workaround for this?

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain
Hi,

The only workaround I have found is to make no mapseries (layout series for me) in layout where I have more than one map. So I use mapseries in layout with only one map. Doing so, I put a copy of my map data with tiled annotation activated and the other one with without.

After, in the layout with more than a map, I clean up my annotations by deselecting the annotation of my map in the junctions part. (Like in map 1 and 2 if I’m in 2 I deselect 2 to only see the 1) It’s not best but since ESRI make it worse in Pro than in arcmap, we have to live with it.

Regards,

Marcel
New Contributor III

Thanks for reply, unfortunately I go to make this on QGIS, this is much easier and efficiente on Atlas feature in it.

MarcelSt-Germain
Hi,
Maybe I don’t understand your question. I do not know that QGIS have tiled annotations. If you only want to include many maps in a layout without tiled annotation, it’s very easy in pro.
0 Kudos
New Contributor III

I try to clarify my problem, I have two map frames, the first an image from 2017, the second an image from 2021 and I need to place them side by side in a page layout. There are polygons that highlight regions of these images, and I am using these as an index to generate series of pages. There is the problem, I can only select one index at a time, in the page series generator, so only one side (one of the images) is being updated in the layout when changing the page because I can only select one map frame at a time.

MarcelSt-Germain
Hi, I think it’s clear now. You have polygons given the limits of 2017 images and one with 2021. So you need to show side by side a series of images like 2017-1 and 2021-1 and 2017-2 with 2021-2 etc. Since it’s the same area you want to show, only one polygon for the map series is required.

So, I think, since it’s not a question of annotations, you could do it in Pro. I haven’t done this but, have you make two maps. One with 2017 images and one with 2021? That’s the first thing to do. After, you use the two maps on one layout side by side. By using the same polygon who makes the extend, you should be able to activate the two, at least by scripting.

Look at https://pro.arcgis.com/fr/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/navigation/link-multiple-views.htm . this should help
0 Kudos
QuantitativeFuturist
Occasional Contributor

The documentation for these features is a complete joke. I agree with the poster who says it's easier to use QGIS. Get it together esri your documentation is pathetic.

wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

All, I found an idea related to multi-map map series here: Use Multiple Map Series in Single Layout - Esri Community

Go like it!