Map Series - Only show features visible in the map extent

Jump to solution
07-20-2021 12:28 PM
MillionMap
New Contributor III

As I progress through the maps in a Map Series, I want all layers that does not meet Page Query match to be turned off in the legend.  I have that set correctly and it works fine.  What I need is the layer that is set to display for each map through the progression to not have the toggled  "Only show features visible in the map extent".  I want all of its symbology displayed in the legend regardless of whether its in the map or not while all others are turned off.  Is this possible?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RPGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

It sounds a little confusing the way you are asking your question. If I understand your question correctly, you want to everything that matches the page query (that you set) to not show in the legend, and everything that isn't part of that query to display regardless of the map displayed through the series.

If that is the case, then you might need to have two different map displays (one on top of the other), set to have one extent match the other, and change it in such a way that the page query that you have set only shows the features not in the query and to have the second (somewhat invisible map) to have all of the features that don't.

This setup is a bit tricky but I have used this kind of similar setup in the past when I need to display the queried layers while keeping all others.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Oh, okay I understand now. There isn't an easy solution because the legend item visibility can't be set by page query. You could add an idea for that to the Ideas site though and let people vote on it and add their use cases!

In the meantime, as @MillionMap suggested, you might be able to set up another map frame with features and have it draw off the page, then set the legend up to reference that map. It's a workaround, and cumbersome, but you could probably get the results needed. 

Cheers,
Aubri

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

I'm not sure what you are asking for here. The "Only show features visible in the map extent" can be set on each legend item. You can turn it on or off for any particular layer in the legend (called a legend item). Is there something beyond that you are trying to do?

Cheers,

Aubri

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
MillionMap
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply.  I don't want to have to manually toggle "Only show features visible in the map extent" when I go from page to page in order for all legend items to display.  Quite often there are items outside of the map and will not show up in the legend.  The intent is to create a 216 page pdf export that displays the active layer's full symbology in the legend while all other layers are off.  All other layers turn off properly in the map and legend going page to page because they are turned off due to the Page Query, but so does some symbols in my active (displayed) layer because they are outside the map.

0 Kudos
RPGIS
by

It sounds a little confusing the way you are asking your question. If I understand your question correctly, you want to everything that matches the page query (that you set) to not show in the legend, and everything that isn't part of that query to display regardless of the map displayed through the series.

If that is the case, then you might need to have two different map displays (one on top of the other), set to have one extent match the other, and change it in such a way that the page query that you have set only shows the features not in the query and to have the second (somewhat invisible map) to have all of the features that don't.

This setup is a bit tricky but I have used this kind of similar setup in the past when I need to display the queried layers while keeping all others.

Hope this helps.

MillionMap
New Contributor III

I want the matched to display, the unmatched to not.  I want all symbology of the matched to display in the legend but sometimes features are outside of the map extent and because I have ""Only show features visible in the map extent" selected they don't appear in the legend.  I have 216 layers with different symbologies and titles, all with the same geography.  When its their turn to be turned on, I need to see all of that layer's symbology in the legend even if some of its outside.

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Oh, okay I understand now. There isn't an easy solution because the legend item visibility can't be set by page query. You could add an idea for that to the Ideas site though and let people vote on it and add their use cases!

In the meantime, as @MillionMap suggested, you might be able to set up another map frame with features and have it draw off the page, then set the legend up to reference that map. It's a workaround, and cumbersome, but you could probably get the results needed. 

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
RPGIS
by

OK, I understand your situation a little better now. If that is the case, then the suggestion that I provided would provide a possible solution. If needed, I can try to provide a set of detailed instructions on how that would look using two different map frames.

0 Kudos