Map Series Extent

Jump to solution
07-15-2021 11:53 AM
ElizabethWheeler
New Contributor III

Similar to another question I have asked. 

How to preserve the extent of a map series. I want to show my full region at the same extent for each iteration of parcels (each page) but the region keeps hopping around. Manually adjusting does not affect anything, it defaults to the original extent of that page. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ElizabethWheeler
New Contributor III

My workaround is specific to my needs, of displaying particular parcel data in our county. While I explore ArcPy.mp, I am nesting the map-series index-layer in a corner. I have a second, static map frame which at the extent I want. The down side is the user has to go into another map frame, add the layer, change the symbology. It's not automated but it removes clerical errors and I hope a little easier on the non-gis user who will have to take this over when I leave, soon. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, this is not possible using the standard Map Series. A Map Series is explicitly defined as "a series of pages that span a range of map extents".

To pull off an "attribute-based" series where the map stays at a fixed extent, you'll have to use the ArcPy.mp module. It's not terribly difficult, but it's also not as user-friendly as the Map Series for previewing your outputs. We actually use this method extensively, as we have a few locator maps that need to change across pages of a series, but stay at the same extent.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
ElizabethWheeler
New Contributor III

You have suggested arcpy.mp before. I thought the Map Series was the way to go but I suppose I will have to embrace arcpy.mp. It's pretty daunting.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Oh! My apologies if I'm getting repetitive. Did I share any sample code in the past? If you're not changing the extent, are you changing something about the symbology or feature selection?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
ElizabethWheeler
New Contributor III

I don't think you did share anything but I plan to get into arcpy.mp more and soon. I am creating products that show a parcel's location in the county and the full county extent must be visible. When I select a feature from the parcel layer the map jumps around and parts of the county get cut off. I realized a work around that kind of works for me as I am not handling many "clients" at once.  

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

*cough cough* QGIS can do an attribute-based map series w/ a fixed extent. *cough*

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
ElizabethWheeler
New Contributor III

I'm not marking this as a solution just because I don't know how to implement it to verify it as a solution.

0 Kudos
LauraWiggins12
New Contributor

Hi,

Is it possible you have a code sample you could share?

Thanks,

L

0 Kudos
KelseySmuczynski
New Contributor III

Hi @jcarlson , 

Any chance you have some example code you'd be willing to share? It'd be much appreciated.

Kelsey

0 Kudos
ElizabethWheeler
New Contributor III

My workaround is specific to my needs, of displaying particular parcel data in our county. While I explore ArcPy.mp, I am nesting the map-series index-layer in a corner. I have a second, static map frame which at the extent I want. The down side is the user has to go into another map frame, add the layer, change the symbology. It's not automated but it removes clerical errors and I hope a little easier on the non-gis user who will have to take this over when I leave, soon. 

0 Kudos