Select to view content in your preferred language

Map Scroll Bars

02-11-2021 11:18 AM
Labels (1)
MariyanaKostov1
Occasional Contributor

How do I turn on my map scroll bars in Pro?

15 Replies
malinatehill

PgUp/ PgDn etc. only do full screen change. I need overlaps in the data verification process that I use.  Those options are not a suitable substitute for the scrollbars.  Why was this not even an option you can turn on or turn off if you don't use them??  Q and move is likewise not a suitable substitute for the function with the scrollbars.

0 Kudos
AndrewZimba1
Regular Contributor

But what if I PREFER using scroll bars?  Why is Pro telling me what I can and can't do instead of giving me the option to do what I want?  

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Andrew - first, a caveat - I do not work on the ArcGIS Pro Development Team so cannot speak for why/why not of developed vs. undeveloped functionality.  In the current release of ArcGIS Pro, 3.0.3, I do not see scroll bars on the Map or Layout view but do have tools to navigate like one did in ArcMap through arrow keys and the Navigator.  I did see some related ArcGIS Pro Ideas about scroll bars but not likely the specific funtionality you're requesting.  My suggestion is to create an ArcGIS Idea so it gets visibility from the ArcGIS Pro Dev Team.

StephenKCA
Occasional Contributor

If you create this as an Idea you'll have my vote! The not well documented PgUp, PgDn, Home, End and that heading compass provide a kind of workaround, but the scroll bar UI metaphor has been around since Xerox PARC. I don't know why ESRI has decided to remove them in favour of navigation methods requiring keyboard-mouse combinations, half of which feel like software Easter eggs.

malinatehill

Please bring back scrollbars as an option in the Options>Navigation menus for those users that rely on them (like me).  Very hard now to do a comprehensive visual data review, maintaining overlap, and staying on a constant compass direction given the tools currently available.   Why take away a simple function that has served your users so well for so long??

0 Kudos