Manage Tile Cache Failing when updating tile cache

02-20-2020 03:32 PM
KevinMorris2
New Contributor III

Manage Tile Cache Failing when updating tile cache in ArcGIS Pro 2.4.2 & ArcGIS Pro 2.5

Manage Tile Cache Tool functions fine to create a new tile cache. However, when I re-run the tool pointing to the tile cache it just created and try to Recreate_empty_tiles or Recreate_all_tiles whether they are the same tiles or additional tile levels, the tool fails. I have used the same extent and changed the extent for adding tiles. The tool always fails with the following message and I can't move forward.

Start Time: Thursday, February 20, 2020 3:12:57 PM
Generating tile cache using 6 parallel instances.
ERROR 001517: Failed to generate tiles for Layers.
Failed to execute (ManageTileCache).
Failed at Thursday, February 20, 2020 3:12:57 PM (Elapsed Time: 0.03 seconds)

suggesting issues with disk access 001517: Failed to generate tiles for : .—Help | Documentation 

Any ideas? or is this a bug...

Additional Information: feature layers come from both shape files and enterprise data through database connection.

#ArcGIS Pro, tile,cache,manage,bug,issue,fail

UPDATE 3/31/2020:

The main trouble with this tool is the Graphical User Interface. The GUI appears to provide two methods to select a tile cache, but in reality this is not the case and the user should only enter the folder and subsequent tile cache folder to create tiles or update tiles (GUI #1). The workspace folder is two folders up from the tile cache and the tile cache folder is one folder up from the tile cache where the icon for the tile cache is located. So this is three folders - with the third folder really being the cache. This seemed odd to me, as I would open the tool and keep drilling down to the tile cache icon to get the tool to recognize the cache and auto-populate the other tool parameter boxes (GUI #2).  From here it will not work. You need to use the first GUI where you enter the data location (two folders up from where the tile cache icon lives), select the tile cache folder (one folder up from where the tile cache icon lives), and then you can use the selections available with the tool to get things done.

The bug that has been logged relates to the second GUI issue, where a user deletes specific tiles or a tile set. In this scenario, the user must drill down through the same three folders to the true tile cache location that is identified with the tile cache icon. After the user selects the tile cache (the icon for the folder) and deletes a tile cache using the tool they cannot then re-run the opened tool to update the empty tiles or recreate tiles by changing the selection of the tool from delete tiles to either recreate empty tiles or update tiles. The tool will fail. It appears that the tool has now lost reference to the location of the tile cache.

The enhancement listed below relates to the tool sometimes auto populating tile level information and sometimes not depending on which GUI you are in. This is a minor annoyance, but it is nice to have the tile levels and max/min identified.

The good news is if you follow the advice above, you should be successful with using the tool. Just don't select the icon of the tile cache to create/update tiles! BUT select the icon of the tile cache to delete tiles!

FYI - Another bug may be present. We did run into a repeatable situation where datum conflict of the Hillshade/Topo Basemap with the project data NAD83 UTM11N caused ArcGIS Pro to crash. Delving into this may be for another day.

BUG:

Esri Case #02526297 - Manage Tile Cache Tool 'Cache Location' Parameter Does Not Automatically Update When Deleting Tiles - BUG-000129764

ENHANCEMENT:

Esri Case #02526296 - Enhancement Request to have Maximum and Minimum Cached Scale Drop Downs Automatically Update.  ENH-000129761 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KevinMorris2
New Contributor III

I have a ticket out with ESRI on resolving this issue and they have successfully recreated my problem on their side.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Did you have missing tiles to begin with after running the initial cache creation process?

Did your subsequent run actually corrupt tiles that were created properly in your initial run?

Just wondering if this is a false negative error message.

0 Kudos
KevinMorris2
New Contributor III

UPDATE:

The major issue with the tool appears to be the GUI. The original case was closed and one bug and one enhancement were created.

Esri Support Survey for Case #02526297 - Manage Tile Cache Tool 'Cache Location' Parameter Does Not Automatically Update When Deleting Tiles

Esri Case #02526296 - Enhancement Request to have Maximum and Minimum Cached Scale Drop Downs Automatically Update. ENH-000129761.

KevinMorris2
New Contributor III

UPDATE:

This week I needed to update Tile Packages and needed to use this tool again. Unfortunately, it was just as messed up as when I started my ESRI support ticket. The same GUI issues are still present and I was unsuccessful updating a cache after playing with the tool for several hours. When I did get it to finally, restart, it produced a title cache that was "blank" in ArcGIS pro when viewing or just didn't show tiles that were there. Anyhow. More lost time on this tool.

Current Setup: Windows 10 / ArcGIS PRO 2.8