Make layer from selection not working

Jump to solution
09-18-2018 08:25 AM
HeatherScroggins
Occasional Contributor II

I'm working in Pro (version 2.2.2) trying to create a selection layer. I've tried both right clicking on the layer and going to 'Make layer from selected features' and going to the Data tab and clicking the 'Layer from Selection' button, but nothing seems to happen.

Has anyone else experienced this and discovered what was wrong?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Laurenventure
Occasional Contributor

Moving the layers into a new project will remedy the issues. I reached out to technical support and that was the resolution we found.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

What is the datasource of your data (e.g. file gdb, SDE, other)?

What type of features are you working with (e.g. points, lines, or polygons)?

0 Kudos
HeatherScroggins

The data is from an SDE enterprise geodatabase (10.2) on SQL Server (2012). I am working off a version.

The data itself is a line feature class.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

It worked for me from a file gdb, but not from an Oracle SDE database.  I wonder if there is a permissions issue with SDE in relation to this feature, but I receive no error message just nothing occurs with SDE.

0 Kudos
HeatherScroggins

I just tried making a selection layer off a line feature class from a file geodatabase and that did not work for me. I guess it could be a permissions thing, but creating selection layers in ArcMap works fine, I would think that if it was a permissions thing, ArcMap wouldn't allow it either.

And yeah, no error message for me either.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Heather and Michael.  I just checked in file gdb and SQL server and Make Layer from Selected Features works.

This would probably be a good candidate to work on with technical support.  Esri Support Home 

0 Kudos
HeatherScroggins

Thanks Kory. I'm going to have my coworker test it out next time she is in Pro just to make sure that it isn't a setting on my computer and if it fails for her as well, I'll escalate it to technical support.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Kory:

Could this be an Oracle SDE specific issue?  It works for you in SQL Server, but it does not work for several people at my org using an Oracle SDE database.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I suppose it could be but it would need to be investigated.  I searched support cases and don't see this as a known issue.

0 Kudos
Laurenventure
Occasional Contributor

Moving the layers into a new project will remedy the issues. I reached out to technical support and that was the resolution we found.