Make a multipart polygon of touching polygons, not merge

Jump to solution
10-03-2019 11:41 AM
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

This may not be possible. But, how do you take adjoining polygons, merge them together, but still keep the diving lines (in case you want to dissolve or explode it later)?

This is what I have:

Those selected ones are four separate polygons. I want to make them into a multipart feature without losing the middle lines. Is this possible?

ArcGIS Pro 2.4.1 (or any version, doesn't matter)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Adrian, dissolve with shared boundaries will remove the boundary.

• You could use a very small negative buffer for the shapes, then dissolve creating a multipart polygon.
  • You could also just create a polyline representation of the shapes (sans attributes) to use to split the dissolved polygons should you need to have them as singlepart again.
  • Finally, storage is cheap.... just create singlepart and multipart versions of the files

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Adrian, dissolve with shared boundaries will remove the boundary.

• You could use a very small negative buffer for the shapes, then dissolve creating a multipart polygon.
  • You could also just create a polyline representation of the shapes (sans attributes) to use to split the dissolved polygons should you need to have them as singlepart again.
  • Finally, storage is cheap.... just create singlepart and multipart versions of the files
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Dan, thanks for the reply. What you're saying is that no, there is not a native way to do this, but here are some alternative workarounds. I appreciate the assistance but I wished these solutions worked for what we're looking for!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

and I await the day that a null point doesn't return (0, 0)

0 Kudos