<Null> Reading in pop-up where table has data

Jump to solution
02-02-2022 04:22 AM
ClaireK
New Contributor

Hi, I am using ArcGIS Pro and have created a database in excel then saved it as a CSV file which I have brought into ArcGIS. In bringing in the data I am able to convert to XY points for my latitude and longitude columns. However some of the other columns that are numeric read as <Null> on the Pop-up for the point information. I have tried to correct this by changing that column to either number or text in the CSV file and reimporting it. When I do this it either does not fix the problem or no longer has the option for my latitude and longitude columns in the drop-down to convert to the x-y points. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Claire,

ArcGIS doesn’t play well with special characters in Column name. In your screenshot I see there is a field named IC (MW), you would need to remove the parentheses and the spaces. You may replace it with an underscore as that is acceptable, so your field name would look something like IC or IC_MW.

You can later use the Alias field name as IC (MW) as ArcGIS doesn’t read the Alias field names for anything other than display purposes.

You may refer the Define fields in tables 

~Shan

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
3 Replies
shan_sarkar

Hi Claire,

ArcGIS doesn’t play well with special characters in Column name. In your screenshot I see there is a field named IC (MW), you would need to remove the parentheses and the spaces. You may replace it with an underscore as that is acceptable, so your field name would look something like IC or IC_MW.

You can later use the Alias field name as IC (MW) as ArcGIS doesn’t read the Alias field names for anything other than display purposes.

You may refer the Define fields in tables 

~Shan
Tags (1)
ClaireK
New Contributor

Thank you for the solution. It was all the columns where I had brackets in the header row so I removed those and it now reads them correctly.

For some reason, I now have 5 extra field columns (field12-field16) in the table and pop-ups where in the CSV table it is empty?

shan_sarkar

Glad to hear it worked.

I have had the same issue once with the extra fields, turns out in my case I had to select those fields in question in the CSV and delete them once and I got the expected results.

~Shan
0 Kudos