Losing data when exporting to feature layer

03-30-2023 08:00 PM
AvaFarouche
Occasional Contributor

Greetings!

I'm finally migrating to Pro, using 3.1. I'm used to working with enormous datasets in Map that need to be clipped or divided into sub-layers to be manageable. I've tried that a few times in Pro, but some of the times that I do it, I lose some of the data out of the attribute table that I need for my map analysis, or it changes from text to code.

For instance, I'm working with the Nat'l Hydrography Dataset, so I clipped it to a geo area, and exported the selection to a shapefile. That worked fine. But then I created another selection out of that, and it didn't work. I selected the features I was interested in, created a new layer, and then Exported Features, just like always, and the resulting feature layer lost some of the info out of the attribute table.  I'll paste a before and after image of just little snips of the attribute tables.  In this instance, the text is replaced with codes. Of course there's no official code table in the metadata for ready translation. I can figure it out, but it's annoying and time-consuming to deal with during mapping and analysis. 

Any advice would be very appreciated!

AvaFarouche_0-1680231262959.png

AvaFarouche_1-1680231299197.png

0 Kudos
1 Reply
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

It looks like you are dealing with a geodatabase coded value domain: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/overview/an-overview-of-attribute-do...

The coded value domain includes both the actual value that is stored in the database (for example, 1 for pavement) and a more user-friendly description of what that value actually means.

Shapefiles do not support coded value domains and export the actual code value in the source field not the substituted description. You can however set a geoprocessing Environment that exports the description text in new fields in the output shapefile.

BarryNorthey_0-1680271629347.png