Locate Tool Preferences/Defaults

04-20-2021 08:36 AM
KellyKoenig
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to set preferences or defaults for the Locate tool? I typically want to use the "Match any part" option when using "Layer Search" because I am more likely to remember a fragment of a feature's name than the exact punctuation, capitalization, etc., but I often forget that the default is set to "Match exact" and I get no results returned on my first try. 

Locate tool - Layer Search optionsLocate tool - Layer Search options

I've looked around in the options and haven't found anything. If you have any tips, I would appreciate it! Otherwise, I'll post this in the ideas section.

Tags (2)
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Kelly... I don't see any options in Options either.

ArcGIS Pro Ideas would be a good place to look first to see whether "Locate" has been mentioned at all, and if not, then start an Idea to see if it gains any traction.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
LaurenLee
New Contributor III

I'd be interested in this as well. Did you submit an idea?

0 Kudos
KellyKoenig
Occasional Contributor

@LaurenLee  Thank you for the reminder! I just submitted the idea here if you'd like to upvote it. 

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Is configuring the layers that you want to search not an option for you? The configuration is stored in the project or if you create a template from the project if it contains layers that you use consistently. https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/find-places-on-the-map.htm#ESRI_SECTION...

0 Kudos
KellyKoenig
Occasional Contributor

@ShanaBritt Thank you for this suggestion! I do see these options, and this will come in handy for any saved projects that I work in.

A majority of my workflows are ad hoc projects that do not start from a consistent set of data sources, so I have Pro set to start "Without a project template." I tried to create a "dummy" template project that is simply a blank map where I have changed the "Layer Search" properties to "Match any part," but this switches back to "Match exact" when you close and reopen the project.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  It was worth a shot!

Again, thank you for the suggestion. I appreciate your help!

0 Kudos