Line Density Output Raster Pixel Count

Jump to solution
12-15-2020 12:03 PM
LaurieKurilla1
New Contributor III

Using the Line Density tool on a geologic fault layer, I now have a density raster.  Great, exactly what I wanted.  Now I need to be able to do a probability density analysis by calculating an areal distribution or pixel count for each of the density classes.  In other words, my fault densities range from <= .015 km/sq km up to <= .15 with .015 breaks from the low to the high.  Now I need to know what percent of my map (world) is covered by each of the densities.   It seems that I should be able to get a pixel count for each of the density classes.  e.g. Pixel count for pixels with density <= .015, pixel count for densities > .015 and <= .030, etc.    Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LaurieKurilla1
New Contributor III

David,

Many thanks.  The Build Raster Attribute Table will not work on this raster which is the output of Line Density.  It would not accept it as input.  I was able to use the Reclassify - which creates an attribute table, with the pixel count for each density (class) slice.  So I can get what I need, but it is disappoint to have to go to additional steps to work with the raster output of Line Density.  Again, Thank you!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I've attached a screenshot of a handy feature of the classified symbology tab (albeit for ArcMap - I'd guess Pro has something even better), at the bottom right of the window you can see a feature count when you click on the break value.

If that's no good, you could reclassify the raster according to those breaks, then build or use the raster attribute table which will have the counts for you.  I'd definitely build full statistics before and after.

pixelcount.png

0 Kudos
LaurieKurilla1
New Contributor III

Hi David,  Thank you for your response.  I cannot find anything similar to this.  I tried to get stats but you will see that they are not displaying in a nice histogram.  Also, there is no attribute table associated with this Line Density ouput file.  

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

In that case I'd advise on Reclassifying the raster according to your desired classes Reclassify (Spatial Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

then building a Raster Attribute Table Build Raster Attribute Table (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation, or visualising the reclassified raster in the histogram pane to get your values (or create a histogram using Raster Layer -> Data -> Create chart wizard.

0 Kudos
LaurieKurilla1
New Contributor III

David,

Many thanks.  The Build Raster Attribute Table will not work on this raster which is the output of Line Density.  It would not accept it as input.  I was able to use the Reclassify - which creates an attribute table, with the pixel count for each density (class) slice.  So I can get what I need, but it is disappoint to have to go to additional steps to work with the raster output of Line Density.  Again, Thank you!!!

0 Kudos