Select to view content in your preferred language

Line charts: 1. Including no data? 2. Customize colors?

Jump to solution
02-29-2024 01:54 PM
Labels (1)
JillClogston
New Contributor III

Hi all,

1. I am creating a line chart of whale sightings with year on the x axis and counts of sightings on the y axis. Each graphed line represents the number of sightings for a unique geographic location. Some geographic locations have sightings in one year but maybe none the next. How can I include a data point of zero for those years without sightings?

2. Is there a way to select standard colors for the graph, similar to how we select them for symbology - from a drop-down list? In the Chart Properties window, it looks like I have to select each line and define it, one by one?

Thank you!
Jill 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherAllen
Esri Contributor

Hi @JillClogston ,

Thanks for the questions!

1) Temporal line charts that aggregate by count should automatically fill in missing data points with zero. Based on your description, I'm assuming your x-axis field is an integer rather than a date. In this case, I'd suggest using an Arcade expression to convert your integer "year" field into a date. You would do this by clicking the "Set an expression" button to the right of the Date or Number dropdown:

ChristopherAllen_0-1709271283070.png

And then you would use the Date function to construct a date field, passing the "year" field as the year and using January 1st as the month and day:

ChristopherAllen_0-1709318281080.png

2) There is not currently a way to apply a color palette to chart series, but we hope to implement this in a future release!

Please reach out if you have further questions!

Thanks,
Chris

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChristopherAllen
Esri Contributor

Hi @JillClogston ,

Thanks for the questions!

1) Temporal line charts that aggregate by count should automatically fill in missing data points with zero. Based on your description, I'm assuming your x-axis field is an integer rather than a date. In this case, I'd suggest using an Arcade expression to convert your integer "year" field into a date. You would do this by clicking the "Set an expression" button to the right of the Date or Number dropdown:

ChristopherAllen_0-1709271283070.png

And then you would use the Date function to construct a date field, passing the "year" field as the year and using January 1st as the month and day:

ChristopherAllen_0-1709318281080.png

2) There is not currently a way to apply a color palette to chart series, but we hope to implement this in a future release!

Please reach out if you have further questions!

Thanks,
Chris

0 Kudos
JillClogston
New Contributor III

Thank you very much Chris!