Select to view content in your preferred language

Enable Editor Tracking on table not working when fields already exist

01-31-2024 02:09 PM
AlexanderSt__John
New Contributor III

I am getting errors when I try to enable editor tracking on a table (feature class works fine) in a file geodatabase, both in the management properties menu and a Jupyter notebook.

Snippet showing the use of a template table which already has the editor tracking fields.

AlexanderSt__John_3-1706738744950.png

Enable Editor Tracking method failing (this screenshot shows a different table, but same problem):

AlexanderSt__John_0-1706738548706.png

Try to enable manually, but get ERROR 001217:

AlexanderSt__John_1-1706738566254.png

Fields with correct data types that exist upon table creation, via the applied template:

(Note that I can not delete these fields even though editor tracking is not enabled yet)

AlexanderSt__John_2-1706738574041.png

I am able to do this with feature classes, which leads me to believe this may be buggy behavior?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One thing to try is export the table to a new table in a new file geodatabase. Delete the editor tracking fields.  Then retry your workflow.  What is the result?

0 Kudos
AlexanderSt__John
New Contributor III

It is successful, though I did not exactly follow your instructions.

I imported the table to a fresh FGDB and was able to enable editor tracking through the management properties menu. Then I imported that table with editor tracking back to original FGDB (after deleting the original table in my original FGDB) and editor tracking is still enabled.

So there was no need to delete the editor tracking fields.

AlexanderSt__John
New Contributor III

Also successful is just copying the table to a temp FGDB, delete the original in the original FGDB, copy the table back to the original FGDB, and then I could enable editor tracking in the management properties in the original FGDB.

AlexanderSt__John
New Contributor III

@Robert_LeClair Can we call this a bug?

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Possibly - you would have to contact Esri Support Services to log a case, then work with the analyst to see if it's reproducible.  If so, then the analyst could log it as a bug.

0 Kudos
Jim_Anbazu
Esri Contributor

Interesting find @AlexanderSt__John !

You would only get that error message when you use the Create Table GP tool to create the table. When you create the table in the catalog pane by right-clicking on the FGDB (import the schema from the table with enable editor tracking fields), you can enable editor tracking on that table even though the fields exist.  I think it has something to do with the GP tool. A BUG has been logged on this and development will be looking into it.

0 Kudos