Select to view content in your preferred language

Legend is replicating layers

3 weeks ago
Labels (1)
ChristineParkerILSR
New Contributor II

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 3.3.0 (updated) on Windows 11. I'm working on some layouts and thought I was going crazy, but for some reason the legend is adding random copies of layers displayed in the map frame. These extra copies don't exist in the map...so it feels like a bug. I've already tried deleting the legend and creating a new one and it's happening again. I've restarted computer/Arc. I have layer visibility turned off in the legend settings. Some of the layers can be toggled off, but some I have to right-click > remove, and then several items will disappear from the legend. 

I've included screenshots of the legend panel, the map frame panel, and what the legend looks like. This is driving me nuts and I feel like this started after the recent update...

Tags (3)
12 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @ChristineParkerILSR 

Thanks for the screenshots. The duplicate items listed in the Contents pane under in the legend appear to be from the "Human Geography Map" basemap. The layers belonging to this basemap are "Vector Tile Service" layers. Fortunately it does not appear that the "extra" items under the Legend in the Contents pane is adversely affecting the legend drawn on the layout.

There is a known bug concerning this type of basemap layer and the items listed under the legend node in the Contents pane - see https://support.esri.com/en-us/bug/base-maps-are-listed-in-the-arcgis-pro-layout-legend-in-bug-00016...

Thanks for the feedback. I hope this helped.

Tom

0 Kudos
HollyTorpey_LSA
Occasional Contributor III

We're having the same issue in Pro 3.3, and not only with vector tile services. One of our users just reported this today with a polygon feature class. He had exported his layout and then when he returned to his project, he noticed the item was duplicated in the legend even though the layer only appears once in his map. When he tried to turn off one of the layers, it wouldn't let him uncheck it. I let him know that I've experienced the same thing multiple times since updating to 3.3 and the only resolution seems to be to remove both copies from the legend and then drag the layer back up into the legend again.

- Holly
0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @HollyTorpey_LSA 

The comment- "When he tried to to turn off one of the layers, it wouldn't let him uncheck it." - sounds like a known issue with resourcing an empty legend to map that has an ArcGIS Map service layer, or WMS layer. This will also duplicate the legend item. I have not seen this behavior with non service layer types.

Since the scenario you outline makes it seem that the issue does not occur until after exporting I would treat your issue as a separate bug.  I ran a quick test with 3.3 and did not see any legend item duplication issues with non service layers.

Doesn't mean there is not a bug. Just means I need more information to reproduce.

Can you contact Esri Support? They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos
HollyTorpey_LSA
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks. I'll contact support when I figure out how to reliably replicate it myself (to avoid wasting my time and theirs). Until then, we'll continue removing/readding layers when it happens.

- Holly
0 Kudos
ChristineParkerILSR
New Contributor II

It is adversely affecting the layout because other layers were also replicated and I couldn't turn them off without removing them entirely from the legend. I'll go ahead and reach out to tech support. 

0 Kudos
jmaxwell_braun
New Contributor III

Same issue with me and everyone on my team that has upgraded to Pro 3.3. I don't want to contact support and spend hours doing a bunch of troubleshooting steps with them, but it may come down to that. It's a very annoying issue for sure.

This isn't limited to any specific type of layer and it wasn't an issue on Pro 3.2.

ChristineParkerILSR
New Contributor II

I met with tech support yesterday and they were able to confirm this is something they've observed on the backend and it's occurring intermittently on versions back to 3.0. So they're working to have a fix to this included in the 3.4 update. Unfortunately there is no ideal workaround since it's an unpredictable problem. My plan is just to make manual legends when it happens. 😣  

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

@ChristineParkerILSR  - Thanks for contacting support. Do you have an incident or bug number that I could follow up on?

0 Kudos
ChristineParkerILSR
New Contributor II

Esri Case #03635027