Legend is replicating layers

05-23-2024 10:53 AM
Labels (1)
ChristineParkerILSR
Emerging Contributor

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 3.3.0 (updated) on Windows 11. I'm working on some layouts and thought I was going crazy, but for some reason the legend is adding random copies of layers displayed in the map frame. These extra copies don't exist in the map...so it feels like a bug. I've already tried deleting the legend and creating a new one and it's happening again. I've restarted computer/Arc. I have layer visibility turned off in the legend settings. Some of the layers can be toggled off, but some I have to right-click > remove, and then several items will disappear from the legend. 

I've included screenshots of the legend panel, the map frame panel, and what the legend looks like. This is driving me nuts and I feel like this started after the recent update...

Tags (3)
32 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

@BrianMcAuslan1

I understand your frustration. You're in good company!

Thanks for reporting this to your local support group.

The "duplicating legend item" issue that has been resolved for Pro 3.4 (and hopefully available with 3.3.2) was introduced at 3.3 (released this past spring). That you've been seeing an issue as far back as 9/21 leads me to believe that your bug is not the same as BUG-000167906 A legend item element gets duplicated when copying a layer from a map frame on one layout to another map frame on another layout. 

We might get lucky and the fix for the scenarios outlined in BUG-000167906 also addresses similar scenarios we did not know about and specifically test against.

Do you know if your local support reported this to Esri Support? If so, is there a bug number or incident number for reference you pass along to me? It would be good to get your scenarios and see if the fix for BUG-000167906 will also work for your scenarios. 

Tom 

0 Kudos
JuanitaBorden
Emerging Contributor

Thank you. Looking forward to the patch as this really affects production. Do you know if the fix is available on the 3.3.1 patch? I see that available to download today. 

I wanted to add that as I was trying to get around this issue instead of copying layers from one map to the next I tried exporting the symbology (saving the symbology for a specific layer to my styles) and then when I did this and then went back to the specific map the item had been duplicated! So I guess this also happens when you save symbology? 

So I am back to my only work around to avoid this that is succesful so far has been to share the layer as a layer file and then just add to individual maps. Thank you.

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JuanitaBorden 

I'm unaware of any fix available in 3.3.1. The fix for the following bug should be available with 3.3.2 - BUG-000167906 A legend item element gets duplicated when copying a layer from a map frame on one layout to another map frame on another layout. 

We are also following up on a bug that the layout team has recently became aware of: BUG-000170439 - Unassigned layers are unexpectedly appearing in the legend of a duplicated layout when reopening an ArcGIS Pro project file (.aprx). We believe this issue is different than BUG-000167906 and has been around for a number of releases (FYI @BrianMcAuslan1). We are currently investigating this issue and I will post when I have more information.

Thanks for the heads up on symbology/styles workflow. I'll take a look to see if I can repro.  Have you contacted support about this? If so, do you have an incident or bug number?

Thanks for the feedback,

Tom

0 Kudos