Select to view content in your preferred language

Legend is replicating layers

05-23-2024 10:53 AM
Labels (1)
ChristineParkerILSR
New Contributor II

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 3.3.0 (updated) on Windows 11. I'm working on some layouts and thought I was going crazy, but for some reason the legend is adding random copies of layers displayed in the map frame. These extra copies don't exist in the map...so it feels like a bug. I've already tried deleting the legend and creating a new one and it's happening again. I've restarted computer/Arc. I have layer visibility turned off in the legend settings. Some of the layers can be toggled off, but some I have to right-click > remove, and then several items will disappear from the legend. 

I've included screenshots of the legend panel, the map frame panel, and what the legend looks like. This is driving me nuts and I feel like this started after the recent update...

Tags (3)
13 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

All, 

First, thanks for the feedback. 

I understand and appreciate everyone's frustration with this issue. Obviously something was missed in testing and certifying the software release. 

Currently we do not know what was missed. That this problem is intermittent makes it even more challenging. That is why it is important to gather as much information as possible. It increases our odds of reproducing the bug. We can't really fix a bug until we can reproduce it and then validate the fix. Otherwise, we are just guessing at the solution.

I'll alert the others on the Layout Team of this issue. Hopefully we can track this down and fix it.

Again, thanks to all for your help!

Tom

TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks!

0 Kudos
HollyTorpey_LSA
Occasional Contributor III

FYI, I had this happen to me today in a layout after exporting it as a layout file. I had not yet exported it as a .pdf.

- Holly
0 Kudos
jaredpberger
New Contributor II

I'm having the same issue that other users have described here. I'm using ArcGIS Pro 3.3.0 on Windows 10. I am working with locally stored shapefiles. I set up my layout the way I want, then export. The exported .jpeg looks correct. When I return to the layout in ArcGIS Pro, many of the layers have been duplicated within the legend. If I try to uncheck these layers in the contents panel, the checkbox will not uncheck.

I see this issue has been under discussion for several years, but I saw that it is usually occurring with hosted or online layers. Is it a known issue with local shapefiles as well? Thanks,

0 Kudos